Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica Post-Surgery

vitale232vvitale232 Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Medications
Hey guys,

I'm sure it comes up a lot - Lyrica. I scanned the first two pages of threads and didn't see anything, so figured I would just post my concerns.

I had a Microdiscectomy L4-L5 9.5 weeks ago. I still have nerve pain. Mobility is slowly coming back; I'm able to do more, but I'm in pain 95% of the day. It's generally not awful but always an annoyance.

I want to get back to athletics and focus my energies on non-back related things (i.e. career). I want to mountain bike, backpack, jog, basically just be 23 again.

So what have been other people's experiences with Lyrica? My doctor was very nonchalant about it, but then went on to mention that immediately discontinuing the medication could lead to a seizure.

How many people out there found that Lyrica was enough to get them over that last hurdle and back to an almost pain free life? Anyone have bad experiences or awful side effects?

My thing is I want to be free of doctors and medicine, but if it really can help I am open to it.

Thanks for reading!

• For me, at around 5 months post op from my last surgery, a lot of my "nerve pain" come back, and I was put on 300mg a day. For me, it made the difference between night and day as they say.

My nerve pain has been my biggest issue - and Lyrica allows me a good segment of "a normal life" - I can go out to eat with my hubby, yap with friends, meet others for lunch etc. Before Lyrica, there was no way that was going to happen.

Unfortunately, I am pretty much stuck with my nerve pain for the rest of my life. Lyrica hopefully will continue to "knock" down my nerve pain as it does. For me it was, and *IS* a win-win. :)

If you don't have permanent damage, over time you will be weened off of it.... :) For me, it is (so far) a wonderful nerve pain medication.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.