Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sally711SSally711 Posts: 156
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 38 yrs old, diagnosed with results from an MRI in May 2011 that shows "large central posterior disc herniation which is markedly distorting and compressing the thecal sac and stenosing the central canal. IMPRESSION: Large L5-S1 disk herniation stenosing the central canal.
I hurt my back in December 2007, has taken until May 2011 to get some diagnosis. **GP had not believed me prior to this last MRI, which was a 'stand up/sit down MRI machine". Others are the type you lay down in, and the MRI is taken in that prone position.**
Pain level is 4-8. Depends on what I have done the day prior physically, how I have slept, and if I was able to eat properly. *no appetite when in pain*.
Currently on a medication to sleep, one to relax muscles, one for pain *Naproxen*, and two for depression.
I have an appt. to see a neurosurgeon, and another to see a naturopath. Both are information gathering appointments.
Any input?? Any suggestions?? I feel.. lost, my head is spinning with what I have been reading about treatment options, surgery options.. so much. Help???!! and thanks!!

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it is really best to get your medical information about your MRI from your doctor!! since you have two upcoming appointments be sure and have some quality questions for them.. the forum is a good place to find some!! please have a good look around and make yourself at home!! take some time now to relax till your upcoming appointments, get used to the forum and find out some information about your conditon..we have a great search engine as well as a bunch of spineys who i am sure will drop in with some advice.. we are all here to help!! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to spine health. We are glad that you have joined us, but sorry that you have pain that has brought you here.

It has been a long journey for you just to get an MRI. Glad that you finally got one and that you have an appointment with a neurosurgeon (is he fellowship trained spinal neurosurgeon?) as well as a naturopath.

You have tried some conservative measures as shown in your signature line. There are also other ways that can help such as ice/ heat, tens unit, ESI's.

Wishing you all the best at your appointments. Try to bring someone with you to your appointments as an extra set of ears is always helpful.

There is an article about 38 questions to ask a surgeon http://www.spine-health.com/blog/pain/38-questions-ask-your-surgeon-having-back-surgery that is helpful if surgery is an option. It is always a good idea to get more than one opinion.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi lulusheart and ouch2-- I thank you both for your lovely comments- I have taken your advice to heart and have compiled much more informative notes to take in to both appointments. will let you know how it goes!
    I also did have an MRI previous to this one in 2011, but the 'old' one showed a mild bulging disk possibly hitting into the nerves.. something like that. My GP did not believe me for three years that I did have a problem, that I was in killer pain and have limited mobility now due to the back. So, I had another MRI done, this one is a stand up / sit down MRI machine which showed the disk while it was being compressed.. and volla, new diagnosis. Just took three years!!! (lots of sarcasm dripping off that last statement).
    (and, i LOVE this site.. best i have ever found!!!).