Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Butrans Patch

backman01bbackman01 Posts: 97
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
Does anybody get any pain relief from this patch? i have been on 5mcg not much help,going to try 10mcg have back, both leg pain in the calves,since 1993 failed fusion,legs getting really weak is this common? Rick in ncpa

• I had the 5 mcg patch and then the 10 mcg patch and neither had any effect on me, other than to make me nauseated. I think it's a great idea to offer these patches for pain relief (the pills are for addiction recovery), but I'm not sure they work. At least in my case, they did not work.
    There's also a chance that they partly counteract mainstream opiates, so one could theoretically have more pain, not less.
    I hope you have better luck than I did.
  • Rick. The leg weakness can be very comon i think for i have had it for a long time after my 1 st surgery. Only injection has helped with the leg pain for me but for a very short time. Once it wears off the nerves from the lower back cause the legs to hurt, After 3 back surgery it never got any beter. Only thing that helps is walking and working the legs if posible but sometimes hard to do when nerve damage flares up.

The patch you speak of i never tried yet but i hear from 1 member here that she uses it and it helps her. My leg weakness in sense 2004 from when i had the adr surgery. Good luck. Just try to up it do higher dose is only way you will know if it works for you or not.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • They didn't do jack for my pain, and I think they do make the other opiate meds you take orally less effective or not effective at all. I was in misery, ripped it off and took some Percocett. From what I understand, they either work really well, or not at all - based on that particular person. I was pretty excited at the prospect of just having to change a patch every 7 days rather than pop pills all day long. That would be awesome - but it didn't pan out for me.
  • Iam going to up the butrans,still take percocet but they dont last long,also might invest in walker,there are days when legs are hard to get moving,cramping,pain,numb,i will eventually will be in a wchair,slowley getting worse since 1993.
  • Rick I'm sorry to hear that you too are having this crappy nerve pain . I just am on week two of the patch 10 mg and it works for me in the sense I don't have to take as much meds . Was kinda surprised because nothing prior helped significantly with my nerve pain from this damn ADR except lyrica but can't take cause it makes me dumber than snot. However down side is the patch doesn't seem to last long for whole 7 days .first week by day 5 nerve pain came back . This week it was day 4 but it got ripped off and it never really stuck right even with tape . Gotta call dr tomorrow since I tossed it and will run short. It does nothing for the spasms so you may still need the muscle relaxers. Good luck hope it works for ya if anything to ease up the pain a little.
  • cant take the flexeril anymore got to the point where i could urinate,slow starting if your patches dont stick tell pharmacy cause the manfu wants to know when theres a problem.they will give you tape, Rick
This discussion has been closed.