Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

posr acdf throat pan

glaser2343gglaser2343 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone. Have a question for post surg people

Was there anything you did to make the pain go away from your throat after being intubated during surg? I just had surg 8/31/11 and mine is killing me when i swallow.

• Are you taking your pain meds? I found mine didn't hurt that much after surgery. They offered me those chloraseptic throat lozenges. I hate those, so I didn't take them, but a lot of people use them after ACDF. I found warm broth to be nice. Had to drink it with a straw though!!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • My biggest complaint the 1st month post-op was my throat. It was hard to swallow certain foods and I always had to chase it down with water. There were times I thought I would aspirate!

What soothed the pain for me was to drink lots of icy cold drinks, popsicles, crushed ice, etc. Don't worry. The pain and swelling will eventually go down, although it can take a long time. Mine took about a month and if you search, you will find other threads where some people had a sore throat and swelling for months. If it's really a concern, call you surgeon. Hope you get some relief soon! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I had a lot of throat problems post ACDF. I remained intubated until the morning after the surgery because of swelling concerns. Lili - I'm surprised you used water - that was one thing they told me not to drink following surgery - but to stick to juice or carbonated drinks. I used to choke a lot if I drank water. They said to stick with anything thick and smooth, like applesauce, mashed potatoes, ice cream. Lili's idea about popsicles or frozen fruit bars worked for me. It was a slow process mostly over the first month, but mainly gone after two. I had voice issues as well, and that took about 3 months. One thing that was strange, but tasted good and I could pulverize it by chewing slowly was potato chips. I did have to take tiny bites and chew really well. I still choke once in a while and I'm 4 months out, but it's not that big a deal.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • After my surgeries I ate a bunch of ice cream or sherbet to help soothe my throat. When I was feeling guilty about eating ice cream I had some yogurt. I didn't feel guilty to often :)

After my ACDF, my throat was mostly back to normal after 4 weeks. Only took a few days for my throat to return to normal after my lumbar surgery.

For the first week after my ACDF I had mostly soup and other soft foods already mentioned (and ice cream). Mostly because it took waaaaaaaayyyyyyy to long to eat anything normal. And if I didn't chew it long enough it did hurt when I swallowed.

Best of luck in your recovery.

View my history for all the gory details.
  • Hi all. I had an acdf C4-C5 in 2005 and just last week on 8/25/11 had a corpectomy at C5 and acdf C6-C7. Since C4 and C5 were fused from the surgery 5 years ago..they had to take both 4 and 5 out with the corpectomy so I am now working on healing a fusion from C3 thru C7 and have a much longer set of plate and screws. The 2nd surgury was UNBELIEVABLY BETTER than the 1st. Less pain at incision, less time in hospital (left early next day), less meds and less throat pain. I chock it up to a much better surgeon who is top notch! Glad I made the switch to a different NS!!!

The throat pain is still there though. I think it is just par for the course. I have been told the pain, feeling of someone squeezing your throat, issues with swallowing(I use water as a chaser too) has to do with the amount of stretching and damage to the voice box incurred during the surgery. The 1st surgery - the symptoms lasted about 4-6 weeks. I believe this will be the same or less. I was out of work for 10 weeks before. This time feeling it will be 12 wseeks or more as the multi-level is more complicated. Wearing a Cervical Stim too that the prior NS did not order. Hoping this is works to speed the process and ensure fusion at all levels.

Was dreading a 2nd surgery but have to say it really has been pretty easy....but the throat pain is the same. Try italian ice, sherbert, slurpees, and anything else cold. Cepocal cough drops and throat spray really numb as well giving great relief. LOVE them!

Wishing you all a pain free speedy recovery.
  • just wanted everyone to know i had surg the end of august and that weekend was extremely hard to get through throat wise but i made it and to let everyone know i am still in a hard collar for another 6 weeks but i saw my ns today and he said all looks good so far.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    Hard Candy!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)