Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Spurs L3/L4 - Sciatica

dreamgoreddreamgore Posts: 1
Hi, first post for me. I have been a patient of the VA for over 10 years now for a bulged disc caused by service in Active Duty. Over the years I have had flare-ups causing anything from sharp pains in my lower back to difficulty in walking upright. I am still active in the National Guard and am currently on Active Duty Guard status, doing physical training 3-5 times a week.

For about a year now I have had a "numbness/different sensation" in my left foot 2 pinky toes. About 3 months ago, I started feeling a numbness in my left leg along with aching/throbbing pain. This comes and goes, however the toes don't change...always "different" feeling.

I just had a CT scan Aug 24th and got the results back. I was told that I do still have the bulged disc (L3/L4) but now I also have bone spurs and a narrowing of the nerve canal? The combination of the bulge and spurs is putting pressure on my nerve causing the above mentioned pain/numbness.

The VA told me that they still don't recommend surgery, but like I said...I am still active in the National Guard and must complete a Physical fitness test every 6 months. I am looking for another opinion on the subject. Should I look for a second opinion from an outside source, or should I stick with the VA.

My unit is deploying in the next year or so and I want to do everything I can to go with them.

• Post Deleted. Solicitation is never permitted at Spine-Health

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 09/04/11
  • Hi Andy,

Welcome. I do not know how the VA system works and am sorry to hear about your pain and worry. Hopefully, things will work out as hoped for.

I would think however, that one should always be an advocate for their own health. I would try and find out the answers to your questions in whatever way is afforded you.

Good luck!