Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Things took a turn for the worse today(opinions??)

mykull1918mmykull1918 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
Was supposed to have my script filled for the 2 herniated discs in my back and 3 bulging discs(oxycodone 5mg and flexerall)called the doctor said to call back at 3 called at 4 was told he wasnt filling my script.When i asked why the nurse responded is there anything else i can help with?????so i think for a secound,is this because i called to have my all my documents sent to a pain clinic that didnt come recomennded by them????is it because when i called last monday and told them i was in a ton of pain he replied ....wait it out??????and i ended up in the er for 6 hours?????.So as im thinking these things i just tell her im in too much pain to deal with head games if you dont want to help me ill find a new doctor she then says can you come in now.i say yes.I arrive in 20 mins,had to get a ride cause i cant drive.nusre take me into the room and takes my blood pressure says its high and could be because of the pain im in.I tell her i called last monday and was told to wait it out and ended up in the E.R..She asks wich one.I tell her she tell me to hold on and leaves,She comes back in and asks me if i have my phone one.I say yes.she says i need you to call the hospital you were at to confirm you were there.I laugh and say yea right.Shes says really we need to make sure you went there.she dials my phone and hands it to me and tell me to get medical records on the phone there is no answer i leave a message and i tell her this and she says......FIGURES?????have no idea what that meant.So in comes my doctor.What is the problem he says......then he says wait...........returns with a pain medication contract.Now i get it.Im 36 years old dont smoke or drink and dont use drugs but im catching on now.I ask why are you doing this???He replys the question is why are you doing this????I say im here cause of the mri results we went over the pain meds and flexerall you gave perscribed.He asks if i called to have my info sent to another hospital outside my network.I say yes.He said we wont be giving you your oxycone today,We will see what happens down the road.Also tells me hes gonna send me to the pain clinic i already went to(again in his network that told me surgery was all they could do)and told me i needed to go to a different pain clinic (amazingly enough located right above his office)HE hands me a script for flexerall and infamatory.I ask him if something is wrong???He replys im your DOCTOR. NOT YOUR PRACTIONER AND NOT THE DOCTOR IN THE ER.ITS ME AND I DECIDE WHAT YOU GET FOR MEDS.I say ok im not comfortabe with this and im not firing my physical therapist do i need to find a new doctor????He rips the script out of my hand and physically guides me out of his office..i go to the front desk to have my medical history released the women is doing the paper work and she gets acall from the doctor she then tells me they cant release them.Now im home with no meds and no doctor so i cant go to physical therapy.I am 36 years old never been arrested never have done a drug,or smoked a cigarette.Coach youth sports,have an amazing girlfriend who is a school teacher...................YET RIGHT NOW AS I WRIGHT THIS I FEEL LIKE THE BIGGEST LOSER WALKING THE EARTH.bad enough im in tremendous pain i beleive i was just labeled a drug seeker and a liar.Never in my life would i ever expect to feel like this.Thank you for listening.Besides my physical therapy posting a few times on here has been the only positive thing that has come out of this...............Sorry for spelling and run ons and ect.Im actually in bed holding my laptop in the air righting cause i cant sit up

• I think in the USA you have to sign a pain contract when you go to a Pain Clinic is what the Dr. should have said to you instead he reacted to you inappropriately I think, and should have explained this to you.. or the Nurse could've explained it.

I don't know if you could call back and say I didn't understand what the contract was for? Not sure but think you need to find another Dr. and you have to let them know the next day if you went to an ER for meds also well that's what the contract usually says. I live in Canada and don't sign a contract and my Family Dr. gives my meds but the States are really strict there.

You need to find a compassionate Dr. to help you with your pain and medications. What about your Family Dr. can't they give you meds until you find a pain management Dr? It's rough you have to go through this but if it were me I would call and say I will sign the pain contract just help me with my pain. You deserve to be treated with respect it's really hard to understand this Dr. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • drugs are getting bad all around. For the ones that need them it is tough but one who abuse them it easy for them. It's a shame those low life's make it hard for the ones like us that need them. I don't take any thing now but when I had my surgery I felt like they thought I was an addict when I ask for a refill.
  • i give up.Not even gonna bother going through the steps.The frustration plus the every minute pain im in has finally gotten to me.I am accepting that 3 hours of sleep a night is the norm for me.That i cant sit in a car for more than 10 mins,and thought of running my business again has flown beyond a reasonable view.I will just enjoy what i can.Talks with my family,tv,holding hands with my amazing girlfriend.I am a shell of what i was even a year ago.NOT looking for a new doctor,not doing therapy,no more medicine or shots or surgery,
  • Mykull,

I hit similar frustration with issues going on in my neck and arms. Here is what I did when I got to the anger stage you are at - used that energy to research doctors in and around my area. I've since reversed my anger and thinking of giving up.

Use that energy to find a good and caring doctor. Getting mad is good, but giving up should never be the final option. Please let us know how it goes - I do feel being our own advocate, and making your own connections can be the key. This of course is assuming your insurance allows you to go to whom you wish without a referral.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • You have a right to your medical records. That is YOUR information. They don't have to give you your original file, but they do need to give you copies. Get them, and then make an appointment with a totally different doctor. Don't let this idiot make you give up on yourself. It may be that you have to sign a contract -- I did. All it says is that you will get you meds from one doctor and fill them at one pharmacy. So many people doctor shop and then try to fill their scripts at multiple pharmacies, just to get the drugs and sell them, that they give those of us who are really in pain a bad name. I wasn't there when you were at the doctor's office, but it seems to me that they were way over-reacting. Double-check the laws regarding access to medical records on line for your state. I do not believe they can keep you from getting a copy of your records. If they say no again, tell them you will have your attorney contact them, along with the state human services office.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • In this arena, you will come across many people who will think you are a drug addict or worse. Swallow your pride, and do what it takes to seek help, a diagnosis, and manage your pain.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks anyway...you can't change how people perceive you or me.

There are a few things that are in your control. You must get your records and all your xrays, MRI's, CT scans, etc. As Brenda and Linda say, find a doctor who will be your advocate. They are not easy to find, so get started on researching a doctor. Same goes with physical therapy, and anyone who is caring for you.

Keep a journal of your symptoms. That will help your doctor greatly. Write down everything you want to discuss with your doctor. Keep it factual, quick and limit drama. Most spine doctors do not deal with the emotional side of chronic pain very well and they just shut down, so I try to describe my pain medically and limit my frustrations, even if I feel like I'm going to scream. They respond best to that approach.

Good luck,

• I'm glad you're girlfriend is there to support you through this but you need to find answers and this is your right as a patient. You shouldn't have to suffer so much pain and not get any help. Go to ER if you're symptoms are unbearable you shouldn't have to suffer like this. I work in an ER and you have a right to treatment!

I agree with Sleepergirl and keep a journal of your pain and what makes it worse and how much hours you sleep everyday due to pain and how you're not able to do anything like grocery shop or anything because you can't drive or walk for so many minutes. I hope your condition improves and ice and maybe heat can help. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am so sorry that you had to go through all that. We went through something similar with my 16 year old son when we went to the ER. His pain was so bad that he hadn't slept in 5 nights. They made us feel like we were just looking for drugs - we really were just looking for some relief and some rest. But please don't give up. Every day comes with another chance for something good to happen. Hoping for good things for you!
  • i actually contacted a lawyer yesterday.As of now i have no pain meds no anti inflamatorys and no sleep aids wich they were giving.Went to the E.R. again gave me a oxycodone 5mg.Helped for a bit.Hopefully my lawyer will help.I am amazed after al these yeats im defending my character as im battling the craziest pain i have ever battled in my life.I was finally comfortabe with what the doctor was giving me.(well enough to get through physical therapy)Bottom line looks like im waiting this out and the mass board of med said he couldhave a few sneaky maneuvers that would drag this out 30 days
This discussion has been closed.