Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did pt help

Papa57PPapa57 Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I count on u spiny vets alot so here is my ? I start my pt soon and want to know what to excpect, did it help , did it get rid of pain and numbness?I am 1month post op and some days are better than others. Doc thinks L5/s1was success like he would say any otherwise.Inreally can't wait to start pt but i hope I make big gains toward complete healing send me sum lines! I can't wait to hear your stories! :??
advertisement

Comments

• My only advice is to know when to say "no". Most PTs will give you the standard strengthening exercises and will tell you if it hurts then stop. For me, it wouldn't necessarily hurt when I was doing them, but I would pay for it later. I had a fusion at C5/6 and was doing fine with PT and some gentle swimming. PT set me back when I started doing exercises for my lumbar herniation that blew out my traps and other upper back/neck muscles. My PT forgot that I was recovering from neck surgery and gave me exercises that made me feel like the way I did when I ended up in the ER!

Now I'm starting to feel better again and starting my PT exercises for my neck only. For my lumbar issues I am seeing a chiro and acupuncturist and walking everyday. Will start swimming once my kids start school. Bottom line is don't do anything that you believe will cause you to regress. If it doesn't feel right, tell your PT. :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I found out for me it didn't work. Just made pain worst. Jim
  • With dedication and patience I'm seeing progress. PT was good to better educate myself, reassure myself by talking about concerns, and helped explore limitations. It won't be a magic cure. You'll really have to do the home exercises and communicate what helps and hurts so your therapist can tailor your program accordingly.

Good luck!
  • I totally concur with Vitale232's response. My fusion was a L4-S1. Prior to surgery I had been a very physically active person, exercising daily, so I was more concerned about what NOT to do after surgery. PT answered that question, but it did not alleviate my pain.

We must explore all options for relief - PT included. For me it just did not do anything. However, I must say that it did provide me the opportunity to witness others who were in MUCH worse condition than me and they inspired me. Reminded me of the saying about the person who felt sorry for himself because he had no shoes, until he saw someone who had no feet.

advertisement