Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 Months Post-Op ACDR C5-6 ACDF C6-7 with hardware update..

SGoodySSGoody Posts: 90
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm 5 months post-op...surgery was a MIRACLE...oh I felt sooooooo good when I woke up...90% of the pain was gone and what was there was sooooo very tolerable...spasms were few and far inbetween...had tightness but that's to be expected since the muscles are in guard mode...

When I woke up I had a hard time swallowing so make sure and chew chew chew...or purree for a week or so....you will have to see how you feel...I had to wear a soft collar for 2 wks straight and then after that it was when I felt like I had to...I only did when I slept for about another 2 wks then it was off...

I knew I wouldn't be going back to work for awhile...I'm a nurse and have certain weight requirements I have to meet plus I had L shoulder issues and L Lower Lumbar issues that were back burnered since the neck was sooooo bad and causing soooo many symptoms....

I'm a different story...I'm a CA Comp Case and it took me 15 months to get my Neck surgery on an approved Comp case...so during the 15 months the neck...shoulder...and lower back ALL got worse...UGGG...you can imagine how de-conditioned I became...

All was well and going good during the recovery until month 4 when I went from home recovery to going to PT...I started PT on Monday and by the next Monday was in the hospital with a Herniated L5-S1(not new diagnosis was just ignored due to neck) that was evidently pushing on my nerves and causing my L cheek of my Tushey to burn like you wouldn't believe worse than the darn neck and when they went into my neck C6-7 ended up being bone on bone and pinching the nerves hence the L arm symptoms...

So when I woke up that Monday morning and couldn't stand up my Hubby made an executive decision to take me to my Primary who then admitted me for Acute Sciatica Pain S/P Cervical Surgery....I stayed more days in hospital with my Lumbar then I did with my Neck...4 days with the back and 1 day with the Major Neck surgery....go figure...

Still having some issues with my low back...but rest and PT are the best for a bulging disc...I am still able to PT the neck and shoulder...just slower than normal is all and we have to work around the fact that I can't sit all the way on that L cheek yet or the leg goes crazy...day by day the low back seems to be letting up...I'm scheduled for a Cortisone Injection...so maybe that might cause it to become less inflamed and let go...ahhhhh that would feel so good...

Fingers crossed...it helped with my L shoulder so hopefully it will help with the back....

• Hi Sarah,

Glad to hear your neck is doing good but sorry to hear that your lumbar is not :(

I hope you continue to heal in both areas. I remember not being able to sit down because of the pain and it is really not nice.

Good luck and a gentle hug

• I'm happy to hear about your successful cervical surgery, but not about the lumbar problems. I went through the same thing, in Oct. 2008 my cervical had no discs at C4-7, extreme arm issues etc, and successful surgery. Then the next February, sciatica started and was so bad by the summer, it was time for lumbar surgery in Jan. 2010. So I understand the difficulties you're experiencing.

Having had both cervical (3-lvl) and lumbar (1-lvl), I can honestly say that the lumbar is the worst recovery, even a cervical 3-lvl vs. lumbar 1-lvl. I told my surgeon before my lumbar surgery that I figured it would kind of even out recovery-wise, and he just laughed and said, "No, it's not even going to be close." He sure was right.

I'm a little confused, though - did you actually have lumbar surgery? What is "Acute Sciatica Pain S/P Cervical Surgery" and was that an additional cervical surgery? It might just be me, I can be addled sometimes, but I'm curious because I don't understand. Can you clarify for me?

Take care.
  • Sorry nursing jargon...lol....no I have not had lumbar surgery...just the cervical(2 lvl)...

"Acute Sciatica Pain S/P Cervical Surgery" means Sciatica pain that came on quick and was causing immense pain that could not be controlled with oral pain meds which meant in to the hospital I went...

S/P Cervical Surgery means status post(after) Cervical surgery...the S/P Cervical Surgery lets them know I'm not that far into my recovery for Cervical Surgery...

That way they don't go pulling on my L arm while trying to help me up or something...just a little more info for the nurses just in the diagnosis...if their good they should be able to look at the diagnosis and know they need to ask how far out from the Cervical Surg I am....

But I had all my girlfriends(I was in the hospital I work for :) ) so I had an easy stay...everyone knew everything bout me cuz they have been going through it with me...lucky me...

So right now we are at the rest stage for the Lumbar and waiting for Comp to approve the injection and PT...and doing gentle PT for my Cervical...nothing that irritates my Lumbar so it's a slow process....

I'm finally walking with a limp but still need the walking stick at times and I get in trouble for not carrying my walking stick at all times...guess there's just sometimes I want to feel 33....not 83!!! but it's all good I'll get better and get back to the life I knew before!!!! Thank you for your support!!!!
  • 33 vs 83 - sadly a lot of us get that!!! I'm so glad to hear your buds 'have your back', and took care of you post op. Hopefully the healing will continue on the upswing.

Like you, my lumbar hasn't happened, but too priority is the key in this lovely life! You have a wonderful attitude, so one of the bigger ingredients for healing is already there. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sarah,
    Sorry to hear about your lumbar problems, but I am so happy that your neck is doing great! Fingers crossed for your shoulder and lumbar spine!
    Take care!
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations