Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any feedback greatly appreciated

helenjbhhelenjb Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Im new to this site and feeling very fed up after another bout of back trouble. I thought I would post and see if anyone can often any guidance/support.

I am 32 and have experienced back pain since I was 17. Initially I suffered with a prolapse which reappeared every now and then. I sought physio treatment, which I continue with to this day.

Pain gradually got worse and I went to my GP. Not particularly productive however I was sent for an x-ray which showed a partial sacralisation of the left sided L5 segment.

I was also sent for an MRI which showed 2 lower lumbar disc were degenerate. Also a bulge was present and it was confirmed that I have a retrolysthesis.

I have now been signed off work for the 2nd time in 3 months with acute prolapse. I am due to go to the hospital in a couple of weeks.

Previous assessment by a neuro surgeon suggested that I would need an operation to fuse the spine in the near future. This diagnosis was made in 2008 and yet here I am still experiencing problems (which are gradually getting worse and more frequent!)

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom. After so many years of pain I am at a loss!!!

Helen, Kent

• i too live in the uk bury near manchester .i would seek another opinion before you go in to hospital if you can i will PM you some info
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Thanks - due to be assessed at the spinal assessment centre before I see another expert (the previous one has since retired!) - Really feel that they need to do something a bit more permanant after so many years of it being unstable! I can't keep living my life like this - not knowing from one day to the next when I am going to be laid up again! :(
  • have been this way for a long time and in dec i am having my 3rd surgey an ALIF ! very scary
    i have sent you some info hope that you find it useful
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Many thanks - hope your surgery goes well. I shall see what my appointment in a few weeks brings about,