Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Considering MicroD

robertab66rrobertab66 Posts: 4
I'd like to read about some success stories!

It's been recommended by an orhtopedic surgeon, specializing in backs, that I get a Microdiscectomy as soon as possible.

I injured my back 1 1/2 years ago. MRI showed bulging discs at L4/L5. I recovered with physical therapy, epidural shots (which only made it worse actually), chiropractic. Then 6 months later I reruptured my discs and the MRI shows the bulges have grown larger. I have been trying PT, TENS machine, and chiropractic treatment for the past 3 months with no success. I'm taking controlled substances to control the pain now.

The doctor says the sooner I get the MicroD, the better my chances for success. I am going for a 2nd opionion in 2 weeks and if this doctor (a neuorsurgeon) agrees, then I will schedule the MicroD as soon as possible.

This forum is great and I think it is very helpful to know what level of pain can one expect and to know how much activity will be limited.

My question is: Has anyone ever had a MicroD and been pain free, or nearly pain free, several weeks post-surgery? How about the numbness? Does it ever go away?

• I had L5/s1 microdiscectomy 7/28 alot of pain gone but L foot still numb as he'll I walk 2 miles aday and start pt this week your back will take time to heal but ifyiu opt for surg do it now because of the nerve compression ,after surgery use ice and walk as muchas possible! Stay in touch and let me know what the neurological says.
  • my first operation was an open laminectomy {16 years ago} it instantly removed the leg pain but i always had the lower back pain .i was told that within ten years at the most i would need more surgey ..and they were correct .this time i needed a redo of the original operation and a S1 discectomy this operation did nothing only made the pain even worse .i have been in awful pain .seen pain consultants had every spinal injection known to man and i also take large amounts of pain killers and sleep for only 2 hours a night ..i am having a ALIF fusion this dec ...my advice ..it sounds like you do need surgey but don't expect miracles spinal surgey is notorious for failing .make sure you find a consultant that's up to the job .and expect to need more surgey as the years roll on .{that tends to be the norm with the majority of people} a micro d is one of the smaller spinal operations and recovery is quick .but even though you may feel well and maybe even pain free .there is a very good chance it wont last .sorry to be negative but historically spinal surgey is notorious for failing .hence the amount of spine web sites ! good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Everyone is different, so stories can help but the decision for surgery is personal and yours. Did you get a second opinion?

I ruptured my disc. I has back issues for years and managed with PT, exercise, good diet, and occasional prescription NSAIDs.

I stretches wrong an felt a pop that came with excruciating pain and inability to get up from bed. Even I hoped to avoid microD. But with significant loss of strength and numbness I my left leg/foot, I had the surgery. It didn't work and had a revision to remove the additional piece of disc that was missed. I am 60% better. I will sometimes say 70 but the reality is, I am not the same as I was but better than if I did nothing.

I know people that say the surgery helps 90% or more but never back to 100%. The key to success is to be very careful on bending, twisting, lifting after the surgery. Wlk periodically to keep scar tissue off the nerve.

He microD can be very successful at reducing leg pain. It is not intended to help back pain but you might awe some improvement.

I go a lot of help on leg pain..this is why I say 70% better but I did not get feeling back. My back pain is status quo...maybe a little better.

Good luck with the decision.
  • Welcome to spine health! Wanted to wish you all the best on your decision and recovery from microdiscectomy. Glad to see that you are getting a second opinion as well.

Is most of you pain leg pain? Do you have any other contributing factors,ie facet pain, stenosis ddd?

I had a two level discectomy/lami 8 weeks ago. Unfortunately, for myself it was not a success, but that is only my situation, and probably due to other issues that I have going on as well. Alot of people have micro d and heal beautifully, and go on with their lives. Many of the successes don't necessarily stay on the boards afterward, as they no longer have pain.

There are members on here that have had a lot of success and I am sure that they will chime in.

Please keep us up to date on your second opinion, as well as how you are doing pre and post op.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • The pain shifts every few weeks. It started out as a soreness in my hip (Peraformis) and a cramping feeling in my calf. Then I had a very painful incident while just lying in bed. After that the pain shifted to my foot. I was put on a Fentinyl patch and am taking Percoset as needed. At first that took care of most of the pain and I only had a numbness across the front and bottom of my foot. Now (2 weeks later) it is becoming more painful again. My whole foot feels like it's on fire and I have shooting pains in my foot as well as an ache in my calf.
    I also have spinal stenosis.
    It is so kind of you to reply!
  • I have pretty much the same issues I went to see 2 neuro the forst stated wait it out and see if you improvw, if that doesn't help try ESI's then last would be surgery. The 2nd opinion was you need a lumbar laminectomy and if it was me I would of had it last week. I only have severe leg pain can't walk past 3 minutes, numbness and weakness. This is going on 4 wks. I've never had this agony before can't sleep, mood changes. I dont know what to do at this point.

If you decided to do it best of luck to you and I hope you are pain free soon.