Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The countdown begins!!!!!

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay, 25 days until alif L5S1 :SS
I have to travel 3 hours the week before for my pre-op on the 21st, and the 28th is the surgery date.

I am ready to do it, I am scared to death, but I can do it!!!!! I am not sure if many of you believe in god, but I have that very source on my side O:) .

Anyone else having surgery close to mine?

• I am having surgery Sept 14! I am sooo ready! I had a L5/S1 discectomy on May 24, and either it re-herniated or the surgeon didn't get it all... so, scheduled(with a different surgeon) for a micro-d/laminectomy this time...
    I wish you luck on your surgery! I do believe in God and I will pray for your complete recovery!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    prior to surgery. You never know what is in store. You always hope and pray that things work out the way your surgeon and you want them to.

I strongly believe that the surgeon has the easiest job. They have been doing spinal surgeries for a long time and for the most part, they have become more routine.

Its after the surgery, it is in your hands. The recovery phase, to always adhere to restrictions and limitations. Do what ever your doctors tell you to do, never over do things. Following any exercise or physical therapy program that is put in place for you.

So many people have different ways to get by all of this. Faith is so very important. Since, we never want to get into politics and religion in our discussions, the best I can say is that your beliefs and faith will be so very important in the post surgical phase.

And to me what is so very important, is the love and compassion from your family. Any time I see a member's avatar that includes their spouse, that just sends me the signal that the love and compassion between the two is so very strong.

As you get closer to your date, please post as to how you are doing both physically and emotionally.
    Then , hopefully , without pushing yourself , let us know how you are doing after wards.

My best to you for the surgery and for your entire family.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i have been following your posts and i will be thinking about you big time ! .i hope everything work out well for you and i wish you a speedy recovery {even though you and i both know it wont be ..you are looking at about a year ..you do know that ..don you?}.remember to take to hospital your favorite things like your pillow and pictures of your loved ones even a soft toy {you must have one from a valentines day gift} kath and i both bought each other the same bear from M@S a few years ago .and if one of us has to go away {Kath on businessman to hospital of visiting my daughter when i was capable of that}the teddies have even been to fuerteventura {spain} on holiday with us .anything to make your stay as pleasant as possible .good luck hun try not to worry too much ..as soon as that cannula is in the back of your hand you wont remember a thing .i mean this i really will be thinking about you i wish you did not have to go through it but unfortunately you do lets just hope for a good result
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I am so glad that I will have everyone here to turn to >:D< .
    I do have a great, loving family. My husband, and kids will be a great help. I will for sure be posting before, and after surgery. I am not sure how fast after surgery? I do have a laptop, but I dont think that will be going to the hospital with me 8} .
  • Wanted to wish you all the best with your surgery. We will be here cheering you on.

If I remember correctly, your husband has also had back surgery. My husband and I are in the same boat as well, our surgeries 5 years apart. He still deals with chronic pain as well. He can relate to what I am going through, as I am sure your husband can as well. This will really help with your recovery in that he gets what you are dealing with. My kids are in their late teens and are a great help as well. Glad that you also have your kids to help out.

September will fly by and before you know it you will be on the other side of surgery, at home recovering. Will love to hear your updates leading up to and when you are able to after.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • one thing that made me feel a bit better was one of my blankets from home. even though i felt generally unwell, i did feel somewhat better, and especially cozier, when i was swaddled in my own blanket. my sister also brought me a portable dvd player and i was able to watch about 3 full seasons of frasier. lol.
  • Supportive *HUGZ* I go in on the 30th for my medical/surgical clearance. Hoping (hehe... hoping)surgery will be during the first week of October.

Kind of funny huh? We don't want surgery, but we do!! (G) We are such an odd group we are! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I can imagine you are going through a rush of emotions right now...or at least that's how I was before my surgery. It'll be here before you know it, though. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and you experience great results from it. I'll be thinking of you!
  • I know I will be in for the count :) I am going to take a blanket with me, good idea!!!!

I am nervous about one thing..........the house :?
    I know how it has to be cleaned(as a woman does, sorry men). I am sure that Brian will be able to do it, but not like me :D

Yes, my husband suffers from chronic pain. His surgery just didnt work. He takes meds everyday, and I really don't like the idea of me having to take them forever. I am praying this will all work out!!!!! :S
  • My best advice to you is...try not to worry so much about the house. My husband is the same way...he cleans but not as good as I would. However, after my surgery I was so exhausted and in pain from the surgery, that I could care less about the dust bunnies building up or the fact that the kitchen table was all cluttered. I was just appreciative of the fact that my husband was doing SOME cleaning and cooking, especially with the fact that we have three small children, well...one big and two small, to take care of. He really picked up the slack as much as he could, and for that I was grateful. If you look at it that way, it makes it less stressful. When you are feeling better and your doctor lifts your restrictions, you'll have plenty of time for cleaning.

your surgery and your recovery.
    Everything else for a while needs to take a back seat.

Oh yes, I fully understand what you mean about the way your husband cleans vs the way you do. I think 9 out of 10 women would feel the same way.

I know that when I clean, vacuum, dust, etc, I think I am doing a pretty good job. Then when my wife takes a look at things, oh well, there are so many areas I didnt take care of.

But..... for a while, so what! The last thing you need to be doing is getting up and start cleaning the way the house should be cleaned, or even getting upset because the house is not clean.

In time, all of this will pass, you will start to feel better and you can then re-group and start doing the things that need to be done.

Heidi, just dont push yourself or be too hard on yourself looking around and seeing things that need to be done. They will still be there.

You, right now are the Number 1 Priority.
  • As others have said, your surgery and recovery is the priority.

I had someone come in and clean the house and do the washing once a week, and that took the pressure off. I've got two dogs, so the house didn't stay pristine for too long, but this was my time to get well, and everything else took a back seat.

Taking your blanket in with you is a great idea - wish I'd thought of that or taking my cuddly toy puppy.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • :< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< I am getting scared guys! I just posted about my other health issues, and I need some support.
    Thank you so much. >:D<
  • :< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< I am getting scared guys! I just posted about my other health issues, and I need some support.
    Thank you so much. >:D<
  • I haven't been told I have to give blood? Is that a normal thing?

That is more of a personal choice. For all of my recent surgeries (past 15 years) I've always had my own blood drawn ahead of time. This way, if additional blood is needed during surgery, I would be 100% assured that the blood was fine.

Things have come a long way now and the screening process is much better. Using blood from a blood bank is so much safe today. But for me, it was I wanted my own (plus by wife , being in the medical field, said it was the right thing to do)

For my past 3 surgeries, the surgeon only needed to use extra blood only 1 time. And if they dont need it, it will more than likely be disposed.
  • my surgeon told me i needed to give 2 units of my own blood for this surgery or he wouldn't do it.
  • good luck!

I am having a 2 level(L4-S1)360 on Sept 21st. I just gave the first of 2 units of blood that I have to give for this surgery. Next week I have my Pre-op and then I give my second unit of blood then I should be good.
  • I have my pre-op next wednesday. They didnt say anything about giving blood, but if I have to, that is ok. I hope that I won't need any. Only 16 days to go, and I am ready to go. B)
  • Hope all goes well Heidi. You are probably starting to get a little anxious about now with 2 weeks to go but before you know it, all will be done and you will be on the road to recovering. I'm having a 2 level (L4-S1) PLIF w/ discectomy & laminectomy on 11/4/11, 7 weeks from Friday, and boy am I getting antsy and nervous. I've heard it's a painful recovery but I just hope it's not too brutal. Keep us updated up to and after your surgery..... Good luck and keep your head up.
  • G'day Heidi,
    I just read your post and want to wish you well and my thoughts and prayers are with you. I am 4 weels post op and am doing well. I call my surgeon my miracle worker because the sciatica pain ( very severe and crippling ) and numbness in my left foot and leg were no longer there when I woke up after my surgery. I must admit I was surprised that I was not nervous before my op. My surgeon and anaethestist had me in stitches of laughter before I was sedated and before I knew it I was awake . I accept my road to recovery will be a long slow one but I feel so positive about the outcome of my surgery. I have a wonderful supportive husband who fits into my apron wonderfully....lol...
    I found this site a week ago and find it so supportive and it makes me feel that I am not alone.
    I wish you all the best and will pray for you.. >:D<

Take care ...From Lynette ( Western Australia)
  • I hope that you are coping with the pre-surgery stress and getting yourself and your home ready for this.

As for needing blood after surgery, my surgeon saved most of the blood that I lost and gave it back to me. What with that and using the bone from my laminectomy as bone fusion, I am now recycled!

My lumbar fusion has really dealt with most of the awful and debilitating sciatica that I used to get. If I had to decide again I would definately go ahead with surgery. Hopefully you will be saying that soon too!

Like Lynette, as I was being wheeled off to surgery, it was surreal how I didn't feel nervous and was laughing as the porter and nurse were joking. That really helped my husband as he said goodbye at the lift up to the theatre. (I had prayed and handed myself into God's care.)

As for your house; that will still be there, needing cleaning, even if you get it spotless. It won't matter if it is left for a while with just a quick surface clean. Your recovery is much more important! I actually made a list of things that would need cleaning while I was recovering (I knew that they wouldn't notice the dirt!) in the hope that my husband and sons would take the hint. Mostly, they did. :-)

You are going to be so relieved once you are over here on this side of surgery.

>:D< >:D< >:D<

• Hello Heidi

I had an ALIF and the surgeon said I didn't lose any blood, and I was totally surprised. Perhaps it was because I was connected to a cell salvage machine. If you want to, you could check that out.

Not too long now - have you packed your blanket? :)))

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I have come down with some sort of cold, and nose crap :( I am taking antibiotics so that I won't have to cancel surgery again........ I did that in June!!!!! ~X(
    I haven't gotten anything ready yet! :SS
    I just want to not be sick when I need to go in for surgery. YUCK!
  • Sorry to hear that you are sick. Hope that the antibiotics kick in quickly and you are feeling better soon.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Wow, 3 more days!!!!!!!!
  • I'm sending special healing thoughts your way!
    I have a fear that I get sick and postpone my fusion on Tuesday. God forbid.
    I'm not nervous but rather anxious to get my legs hips back and life restored. I
    Know I will never be out of pain but if the nerve stuff goes away I can live with back pain. I am looking forward to putting down the narcoticsive had to use the last 5months and hopefully the ultram too if even only for a little while.
    My fear of surgery is far exceeded by fear of narcotics relapse and downward spiral of addiction.
    Best of luckto you and I will be checking in and watching our progress as we both navigate the recovery waters.

• How are you feeling now?
    I hope that you are improving and that you will be well enough to go ahead with your surgery.

We are all thinking of you. >:D<

• I am getting better, and my gosh are my emotions flowing! :''(
    I have had a very emotinal, but good day. I have not gotten anything for surgery at all. Well I do have something for my lap for my laptop. I will have hubby here to take care of me, and the kids. Thank god :*
  • Glad you're on the mend Heidi.

I'm starting to question my decision, wondering if I'm just a wuss and should just suck upthe pain and move on. I know that's not an option for the nerve stuff logically but it's natural for me to go this doubt route!
    I've been doing sort of a bucket list of things around the house thy need to done like replace my hot water heater and frame my carport out. I know murphys law and the hot water heater would most certainly die the swims day home from surgery And I hate to pay someone to do MY home repairs.
    Of course I'm paying for the work in doing in pain but it's keeping me occupied so there us a payoff there too.

I am starting my cleanse at noon and I have a mtg to attend tonight at 630. Hoping the effects are subsided by then enough to make it.

I should be out of surgery and maybe able to post tomorrow evening by 6-7 hopefully. I'll give you the great news about my success so that you can carry that very fresh great news on with yours the following day Heidi.