Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Denervation- anyone had it?

doughhhddoughhh Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone

Im booked in to have a Denervation on my Lower back on the 13th sept was wondering if anyone has had it done and did it work? were you in much pain after? Thank in advance :) Loz x

• What is denervation? My neighbor had something recently where they sort of cauterize the nerve. She had it twice for each side. Seems to have works well at least on the one side. She just had the other side done and I haven't talked to her.

Good luck.
  • Hi
    Ye they burn away the nerves and it should make me pain free for a yr until the nerves start growing back!!
    Thanku :)
  • There is 2 ways its done. 1 is a razadamy probably wrong spelling sorry and rfa ablasion of the nerve. The diference is 1 uses cold like freezing the nerve. Other is heat the nerve ending to try to stop the pain signal its giving out.

They dont actualy totaly burn the nerve but just enough to where it helps the pain.

I had it a few times but never lasted long because my nerve damage is too active.

Some get lucky and they get releif for longer , its not a painfull procedure. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks alexhurting

My dr said hes gona use the heat - i had facet joint injections they hurt like hell as the sedation didnt work too well so im not looking forward to this!!
    I have nerve damage too in my legs so i know i will still be in pain after but hopefully not in my back!!!
  • Some of the injections can be very painfull at times. It depend which injection they are doing and sometimes what dr is doing it. I had many injections without sedation and i realised it was not bad enough where sedarion was needed even when i could of had it.

But there was a few times i cried out like a litle girl swearing and told him why did you not tell me this one is going to hurt this bad. I would of taken the sedation for this one fool. Lol.

Nerve burn is not one that sticks in my head of being painfull procedure. Before my surgery it helped more then it does now. Before surgery when i had the nerve burn felt so good went out to lunch right after with gf and was able to enjoy it without a great deal of pain.

But nothing lasts forever. Now days when i go for injection i just take a valium just in case because most of the time the light sedation they give you is not much more then taking a valium in my opinion. This way i can drive myself and dont need a driver usualy as long as they dont have to sedate ya.

Good luck hope it helps
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Rhizotomy is one, Radio Frequency Ablation is the other (RFA).

I have had 4 cervical RFAs done, 2 on each side, 4 levels each time. I've only eveer had "sedation" once for any of my injections (medial branch blocks, facet joint injections, SI joint injections and trigger points, multiple levels of each, multiple times) I think it was Versed, which doesn't work on me, so we don't even bother it. It's not that bad, no worse than the facet joint injections. But then again, I don't mind getting injections, the pain only lasts for seconds, maybe a minute or two depending on how he hits the nerve. I'll take that little amount of pain to get relief any day. The thing to remember is deep breathing exercises and focusing on something else. I actually fell asleep once and woke myself up snoring LOL My pm had a good chuckle over that one.

I'm actually getting the RFA done on my SI joints next month. For me, so far, they have lasted anywhere from 3-6 months, and even with the one that lasted 3 months, the pain was still less than what it had been before, but gradually got back to the same point.

Good luck, I hope it helps you!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hi there! yes I have had this procedure. I have facet joint syndrome and have had the cortisone injections once with great success (but it only lasted 8 weeks), so I was very hopeful when the pain consultant suggested the 'radiofrequency denervation of spinal nerve root' procedure. I'm sorry to say it was a disaster. I kept falling over for a bout 3-4 days and then randomly since then. (my legs just felt wobbly and gave way under me). I had no pain relief whatsover, (in fact, it made things marginally worse). I don't know why this happened? My pain consultant is reluctant to do the cotisone injections agian because they only lasted 8 weeks.. Sorry to tell you this, but it's always important to hear all experiences good and bad I think.
  • 8 weeks is actualy not too bad if you get releif from injection for that long. I never had it last for more then 5 to 6 days usualy 2 weeks at best before all the pain was back.

They say you can have the injection with the roids in it 3 times a year. If you spread out the injections that will give you releif for 8 weeks each time that will give you releif 6 months out of the year. But i would spread it out a litle more far apart so pain never gets totaly out of control.

I dont think there has been a year now where i not had the 3 injections thats allowed with roids. Along with any other drug he is willing to inject in to the spine to calm the nerves to help the leg pain,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks for your advice. I don't know why the consultant was so reluctant to give the injections to me again then, (given what you say about the x3 per year), I was certainly very eager. Mind you, it might have something to do with the fact that my blood pressure plummets when given local anesthetic and I pass out ( it was so low my heart rate went down to 30 and the Dr had to give me something to restart my heart). But I was game to have it again...think it scared him more than me! I am very sorry you only had a couple of week pain relief ...I hope you they manage to find something that works for you.
  • My son has had 2 Radio Frequency Ablations in his lower back. He experienced about 9 months of partial pain relief from them. However, he had SEVERE pain for about a week after each one. This is the time it took for the nerves to "die". Basically they use radio frequency to "burn" the cover off the painful nerves so that the nerves shrink up and "die" and don't provide pain signals to the brain. Unfortunately the nerves eventually grow back - I've heard usually anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. It was about nine months for my son. However, even though the pain was horrible for a week afterwards and the relief only lasted for 9 months my son says it was totally worth it and he is scheduled for 2 more (one on each side of his back) in November. He was even able to go off of his pain medications once he recovered (until recently). Another complication that my son had, that they don't often tell you about because not everyone experiences this during the recover time, are muscle spasms - very painful in their own right, but temporary. I hope this gives you a little info. I've heard of many, many people who had very little pain after these procedures. I hope you are one of those!
  • I had the radiofrequency denervation and its been 3 weeks and I feel worse as days go by I have lots of inflammation below the neck and it burns and lots of pain I.m thinking of going to the ER but I don't think they could do much for me. i have taken Somas and percocet and tylenol with little relief. Can someone help and give some info on how they are feeling.
  • We discovered after my son had his last radiofrequency ablation that a lot of his continued pain was due to muscle spasms caused from the procedure. He could not tell at all that his muslces were spasming. He just thought it was spine pain. We went to the ER numerous times - every other night in the middle of the night for a week until the ER doc on call one night suggested that his muslces might be the problem and gave him a muscle relaxant (injection) - a few minutes later his pain was significantly decreased and he could even sleep. He's had several of these procedures and at times the increased pain has lasted up to a month before it calmed down. Best of wishes!!!
  • edited 07/17/2015 - 3:12 AM

I have had this procedure 3 times and the last was a year and a half ago, was due to have this with a different doctor (my usual was off on maternity leave) but on the day of the surgery he said he didnt believe in doing this procedure more than twice. anyone else had this done more than 3 times?

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click link for helpful information!
  • i have had this done in my neck, was so painful nothing help so i had Radio-frequency (Burning of the nerves) its been 7 years now all is well
    now i am have it done again my S I joint this pain is intolerable i have had 11 operation in the past years that includes 3 on my back and 2 in my neck.and a tumor removed off of my gland which was very large had of over 10 years size of a golfball my growth hormones were off.. All my bones are very large foot went from a 9 d with to a 11 1/2 4 EEEE this is a painful ordeal bones pressing on many nerves i hope that my doctor does Radiofrequency (Burning of the nerves and i wile able to walk and stand more then 100 feet or 2 mins standing wish me luck