Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Spine-Health

mabeckoffmmabeckoff Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
As requested, I am introducing myself to Spine Health. I have scoliosis . Back in 2007 when I had first moved from NJ to NC,I had back pain and went to see a back surgeon. He took X-rays and confirmed that my curves were quite large and that I would need surgery , most likely within the next 18-24 months.By the end of 2009 I was in horrible pain and went to see him. We both agreed that the time for surgery had arrived. Plans were made for a March 2010 surgery. When I went for my pre - op testing, I found out that I was a diabetic. My surgery was postponed until my diabetics was under control. I was so upset about this as my pain was increasing daily and I could not take it any longer. Finally my numbers were at a level that my surgeon would operate at and I headed for the operating room. I was fused S-1 to pelvis. I felt good for several months and then the same pain returned and new pain in my neck as well. In December, I had more tests and injections, which did nothing for my neck pain. In Jan 2011, my neck was fused 4-5-6. However, during that operation bone spurs made holes in my spinal cord and my surgeon had to go back in that evening to fix it. a one night stay in the hospital turned out to be 2 weeks and then at home PT and OT for six weeks. Well, it helped for a while. I was now weak on my left side and had to walk with a cane. My back pain had not changed and finally in March, my surgeon told me that I had a broken rod on my left side. I had not fused either. All he was going to do , however, was to put another rod next to the broken rod and tie them together. This did not sound right to me at all. At the same time, my husband had decided to take a job in Southern CA. From another forum that I am in, I was able to get an appt with a wonderful surgeon in 2 weeks .

This is what he decided would be the best way to try to solve my problems

1. Application of halo
2. Removal of spinal rods
3. Exploration of fusion
4. Repair of pseudomeningocele lumbar spine
5. Osteotomies C7-T4
6. Decompression C4-5
7. Posterior spinal instrumentation C2 to Pelvis with cobalt rods
8. Posterior spinal fusion C2 to Pelvis with local autograft, allograft, DBM, possible BMP.

When he went it, he said that my fusion was not done well.

I have been post op about 6 weeks now and feel great. Well, I feel great for me about 7-8

I am having another surgery this Friday September 9th. My surgeon is going in from the front and will pack one level S1.

Thanks for listening to my story and thanks for welcoming me

• Hi and Welcome,

You have certainly been thru a lot. Am glad to hear you are getting things fixed correctly. I recently had S1 bolted to my pelvis and they went in thru the front. It is a much easier recovery as they do not have to deal with all the muscles of the back. I have had fusions done from the front and from the back. Twice each side but my surgeon (who is awesome) used the same incisions.

Let us know how you are doing.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    So glad things are looking better for you and your pain level became more tolerable.
    I know what you mean about a 7-8 being a not terrible day. Before my spinal issues I didn't truly understand...pain off the charts! :)
    Keep in touch with how you are doing. Good to meet you!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I thank you both for welcoming me . I am getting ready to have another surgery this coming Friday September the 9th. I hope that that operation will be as simple as my surgeon makes it out to be

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on your upcoming surgery and recovery! check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input.. be sure and stop by during your recovery. the forum can make a long day go by a lot faster... Jenny :)
  • I have had three surgeries since July. That one was 15 hours long. I had another in September and another in November . I am fused from C2 to my sacrum.I would love to be in touch with someone who is also fused that much.

• Not a good day.I am having so much break thru pain that I cannot get any relief for. Crying all day.
  • It's rough you're having so much pain right now. I haven't had surgery but know the unrelenting back and leg pain and neck pain also.

Perhaps you will get more response from the neck surgery forum? Other than that sending positive healing thoughts and a prayer. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...all that pain. I don't know what kind of positions you can get into, but for me sometimes a hot bath will help when the pain is so bad it causes me to think of needing the ER for like rebooting for pain relief.

Some days I am in and out of hot tub bath like twelve times...and sometimes if lucky it helps me to sleep it off a little.

Thinking of you and hoping your pain eases up
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History