Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member, I need help

ncurrier90nncurrier90 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone, This community looks like a very helpful place and I am very happy to have found it. I would like to introduce myself and explain my situation. My name is Nick Currier, I am a 21 year old father of 2 and am happily married. On thursday. August 25th I was in a severe car accident on my way to work at 4:45 am. I was not wearing a seatbelt and my chevy blazer rolled several times and ejected me from the windshield. I forced myself to a standing position after the accident and walked to a nearby house where an ambulance was called. I was brought to the emergency room where an xray revealed I had an unstable fracture in my c6 and c7 cervical spine. I was then airlifted to boston beth isreal hospital where I was operated on. I dont know all the details of the operation except that I needed steel hardware and replacement bone to stabilize my spine. the surgery lasted 8 hours and it went very well, I was in the hospital for 8 days and am home now in a fulltime collar for what they expect to be several months. I am still in a great deal of pain and will be out of medication in a few days and will start tomorrow setting up for a refill. I joined this community to get any information about how long this pain will last and what to expect on my way to recovery and to talk with people who are going through or have gone through what I have
thanks everyone,
Nick Currier

• Hi Nick,

Welcome to spine health. Sorry to hear about your accident.

My neck pain was not due to an accident, but I know all about neck/shoulder/arm pain and surgery.

I am sorry this happened to you. You will find a lot of supportive people on this website.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Hi Nick,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. The surgery you had was a big one, and your recovery is going to be a long way out. One thing I like to tell members recovering from surgery is to measure your success my the week and not by the day. You are so fresh out of surgery, there is no way to gauge who long the pain will last. The key for you at this point and time is to follow all the surgeons orders to have a successful recovery. You don't want to do anything to risk your recovery. I know the boredom and frustration with being in pain can get to everyone some days, keep in mind that a few months is better than a life time of pain and issues.

Has your surgeon cleared you to begin walking? If so there are a few walking programs on the net you can use, the one I like is 10,000 steps. You might also look into other ways to help pass the time and help with the pain, such as distraction therapy, such as listening to music, or aroma therapy. Don't rush your recovery, as I said before you are still very fresh from surgery. Hopefully your not a smoker, which will give the bones a better chance at healing.

I have worn the miami J hard brace for up to 3 months straight, and while it is no picnic you actually do get used to having it on. Don't be surprised if somedays are better than others and you have minor setbacks. Why I say to measure yourself by the week not the day.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any assistance to help you don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are so very lucky to be alive and walking!! congratulations on your surgery and all the best on a healthy recovery!! of course you are going to hear that everyone heals at a different rate and that includes you!! so be prepared!! stop by the forum on your recovery days. it can make a long day go by alot faster!! be sure and check out the "Back and Neck Surgery" forum for more input.. good luck again!! Jenny
  • Thanks everyone, this is one of the friendliest places I have ever seen, thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to my post, some days have been better than others and being with my wife and two little boys help alot, except for not being able to roughhouse with them
  • Welcome to spine health.Glad that you have joined us, but sorry that your accident has lead you here.

How scary it must be to be thrown into the spiney world so suddenly by a terrible accident. I am so sorry that you went through what you have. Thank goodness you have a wonderful wife and kids standing by your side.

Recovery is a long haul, but it will get easier. You will probably need medication (ie pain relievers/muscle relaxers) for some time. Hope that you are able to get them refilled today without having to go all the way back to the hospital.

As Tamtam said, when you are able, and slowly build up, walking is a wonderful thing for recovery.

Look forward to hearing more from you, please keep us updated on your recovery, as you feel able.We will be here cheering you on.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012