Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medtronic Drug Infusion Pump Refills

DRhodeDDRhode Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Management
I had the Medtronic Pump surgically implanted in Aug. of 2011. The Dr. recommended I have the larger pump 40ml implanted therefore I would only need to come possibly every 8 months for a refill. I'm an 4'9" petite woman and wondered about this but went with my Dr.s advice, only because of the once a year refill program I would enjoy. When I went to get the staples out from the implant surgery, I was seen by his PA. She told me to make my refill appt. for 3 months. I told her I was only going to need a refill every 8 months, that's why the Dr. put the larger pump in. She said the medicine inside the pump was only approved by the FDA to be in the pump for 90 days. I was EXTREMELY UPSET that I have this huge pump sticking out of my side and now for no reason???? She tried to back peddle now to cover up for the Dr. She said he must of researched this and it was ok. This has left me very uncertain now about this Dr. Can anybody reading this please inform me of your refill regimen. Thanks.

• Let me bump this up so it dont get missed for i would like to see the answer to this also in case i decide to have this pump put in. Hopefully this will help get you the answer Drhode because as i said in my responce to you in pm box. I was not aware of this issue you brought up.

Hopefully who had the pump large or small will catch the post and have the answer,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Large pain pump or regular size? Does anyone have the larger pain pump that can get it filled only once every 8 or 9 months? Or does the fda realy only allow 90 day refill? If the regular size pump holds a 90 day suply and thats all that allowed then what would be the purpose of having a larger pump that can hold more?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Sorry Drhode. Does not look like anyone here has the answer. Might have to just find out why your dr used the large pump if it can only be filled with no more meds then the smaller one from your dr. If you could please post back once you find out for sure. Because if thats the case if they toss this pump at me again then i will know already.

I thought we had a lot of people here with the pain pump that would of responded if they also had the larger pain pump and how often they have it refilled.

Good luck
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I have the larger pump and it must be refilled every 6 months or the meds go stale or so I was told.

When they refill your pump all the meds left in the pump will be removed before they put fresh meds in.

After 3 months you will still have a lot of meds left in your pump and they will not add fresh meds to old. I doubt if your insurance would pay for a refill that often because you do have a large pump.
    To much meds would be thrown away and refills are expencive.

Have they given you a print out from your pump? It will tell you when your refill date is. I save all my print outs. You should do the same.

Every time you go in for an increase they should give you a print out

Hope this info helps you. Best of luck to you.

Patsy W