Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Six and a half moths post op qurstion

police340ppolice340 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All,

I am six and a half months post op posterior fusion, c456. I still do not have full control of my head, in other words as the day wears on or the more work I do, I wear out easily and wind up having my head sort of hang down. My wife keeps reminding me, head up but sometimes its hard to do where it is such a conscious effort now where it never was before.

I have been going to PT although I stopped about three weeks ago. I saw my neurologist Thursday and she said I don't like the way your head looks and this was 8 in the morning so I mus have been worn out that day! She sent me for more PT and said it is muscular so it should be able to be fixed.

Im wondering what kind of job the surgeon did now as my skin around the incision is still sort of numb where i don't feel touch. Is this normal six and a half months out? I still have range of motion issues and cant look at the sky any more or drink a soda without arching my belly and back out!

Thanks Bill

• Hi Bill, I am about 2.5 months post op, My neck still gets very tired at night. I have good range of motion except for looking down. The skin below my chin above my incision is also numb, sometimes it itches or I get not painful nerve twinges. The worse thing for me right now is the muscles in my mid and upper back. They are very tight along the spine and always seem to be burning, especially after I do any physical activity. I went back to work 2 weeks ago, and I am a restaurant manager so my job is very active.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Police? I am out of here. I might still have an active warrant for runing naked in the street.

Sorry i cant help anyways. I am lower back surgery not cervical. But best of luck. Hope you have good recovery
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi Donna & Alex,

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. And Alex, I know where you live so i can bust you anytime! LOL

Dona, you seem too young to have these problems. Mine probably started when I was your age or a year or two younger and I knew I had minor lower back pain, I had no idea i had neck problems, it came as a complete surprise when I started having problems sleeping about four years ago. Which as of yet have not been resolved after two surgeries. So it sounds like you had it done from the front. I had that 3.5 years ago and recovery was not too bad. This one has been hell!

Good luck to you,
  • absolutely sounds like a muscle problem to me as well, my scar area is still numb from my surgery and that was three years ago,i don't think i'll ever get the feeling back again.Give your muscles time to strengthen it hasn't been that long since your surgery. You probably didn't notice the neck slouching before the surgery probably because your muscles were tightening up to help keep everything in position. Good luck with the exercises.
  • Hi, my name is Sandy - 47 yo female, living near Orlando, FL. I had 3 level fusion on 8-29-11 - C4-7. Before the surgery I always looked down, it hurt so bad to look up at all. and I could only turn left to right about half way. I'm just over 3 weeks post op and I look definitely look down. It is much more comfortable to look down just a bit. I can't look up much at all - very painful! and I would guess when my brace is off I can turn to left/right about 25% of normal range. However, I definitely turn my body more than my neck for sure, and my eyes go side to side to see something instead of turning my head. I asked my neuro about it. He said since it is painful and a very new surgery, it is normal to do what I am. He has me wearing the brace unless I'm in bed, so I don't have many opportunities to use my neck anyhow. He said after 6 weeks I'll start PT and it will help. I am not numb in my incision area at all - about 2" on the right side of my neck. I've heard lots of people are numb however. I'm having horrible muscle spasms (I grew 1.5 inches during the surgery as I was bone to bone for the 3 disks).

Do any of you live in FL? I'm out on disability, being good and not lifting, but wish I could do more!! That is until the spasms start, then I take my meds and lay down very dizzy! I hope we all start to feel 'normal' at some point!

• Thank you for all the comments and insights. We shall see what happens. I am trying to get one more neuro-surgca veal to make sure all is alright.