Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycodone gave me back my life

Bobby EyeBBobby Eye Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Medications
I am not suggesting my medication is right for you; I simply wanted to pass along my personal history. I’ve been using pain medications for my condition now for approximately 3 years now. Like most of you, I was first given Vicodin 5mg with 500 mg Acetaminophen. And with time and my body’s adjustment to it, I moved first to 7mg/500mg and finally to 10mg/660mg. At that point it simply stopped working at maximum allowable levels of acetaminophen.
To make a long story much shorter, my doc changed me to Oxycodin with Oxycodone for immediate relief.
I was absolutely amazed at how effective this was for me, and I did not have to move up the amounts. If fact I actually was able to adjust the amounts down. I did not develop at tolerance to it. IT WORKED!
Now as all of you know, Purdue changed the Oxycodin to the tamper proof pill that made it utterly worthless for me. I asked my doctor to go back the Norco 10mg./325mg., and it worked again for a short period of time before getting into that horrible spiral.
What I discovered for me was that the rebound pain from acetaminophen was horrible. Besides coming to the conclusion that continued use acet. was going to eventually ruin my liver.
Acetaminophen is the devil’s brew.
Now back to the subject. I asked my doctor to prescribe me Oxycodone 5mg. (the lowest dosage) and now I take only what I need without spikes. I do have to take them more often to keep a level amount in my system, but it worked. I now have been on this formula for 9 months and have not had to move up my number or mg. IT WORKS for me.
I can actually have a somewhat normal life as opposed to life in a recliner or bed.

• Welcome bobby, Could you please share what medical condition you are taking these medications for?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I'm glad you found something that works! I worry about my liver. I've been on Norco for 2 years for my back and was on Vicodin for a year before that for my knee. Luckily I have a good primary doctor who listened and did labwork. Liver fine. Keep us posted as the effectiveness continues!
  • Alex - I suffer with a C6-C7 herniated disc, severe stenosis, and DDD. A real pain the neck.

Paininback - The thing that bothers me the most is that even the smallest amount of ACET. produces a toxin in the liver. It's one of the main reasons for liver failure. The problem with oxycodone, is that it's received too much negative attention and doctors hate dealing with it. For those of us how suffer from chronic pain, these meds allow us to have a more normal life. Cutting the lawn, taking a walk with your wife, or taking a holiday are things that most people take for granted. For me it's a luxury.