Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any suggestion on jobs we could get with our condition and with pain

zigazziga Posts: 143
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
I was wondering if we could talk about suggestions of jobs we could do even with our pain.

I am having lately memory problems, and I use to be able to read a book quickly and concentrate for a long time but right now it is being difficult. I could watch a whole movie and concentration has change. I think is because of pain and klonopin.

So I would require a job maybe more mechanical but easy.

I think this is a good topic we could discuss, how we manage to work, or what are our options. it would be nice if there are stories of people that discover a job they like better now than before thanks to the condition. It would be nice to hear people that has been able to re adapt to the change and find a way to work.

My jobs required a lot of creativity and movement. I was a teacher and also worked with communities.

I feel my creativity has change it is like disperse. working on putting it together.

Have a good day,

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I think your post is interesting and Ill read as it develops. But as for myself...there's no way of working or having responsibility of any kind.

I take care of myself..but my memory..terrible.. not only forgetful..but have little recollection of conversations and events. I need lots of reminders and often times the memory never comes.

Driving anywhere...can't. Meds impair me enough that many times I know I'm not safe to drive..so I phone a friend or stay home. If I must drive..i go without pain meds for hours, but then driving moaning and doubled over. Not sure that's much better.

Even computer..can't sit for any length of time. Need to lay down...legs drawn up..frequently.
    Even phone..my pain is so ever present..that I just can't concentrate on words.. When I worked and people were coming at me with requests..etc.. I just wanted to slap people. That was my last day of work.

I'm always wanting to learn new ways of handling my situation..so good luck with the ideas!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I would send all my MRI's,cat scan, X-rays and doctors notes to the preeminent center anywhere in the US to get multiple opinions on how to treat you. If need be, fly out to the best Dr and have an appointment and discussion. May be costly, but in the scheme of life a small price to pay to get possible results. Do major research and get recommendations from people that have success with your type of problems. It is your body and you are worth it! You can't put a price tag on good health and possible alleviation of pain. Just a thought, take it or leave it.....but I wouldn't give up.
  • I am a nurse. Prior to injuring myself, I was working on a busy cardiac unit, as well as a pediatric unit on the side. After I hurt my back, I was out of work for a couple of months. I eventually attempted to return to pediatrics, but I was never able to return to cardiac. The patient load was simply too heavy and I spent the majority of my shifts on my feet, which just wasn't an option anymore. I managed to work peds for a while longer, until February when I could no longer do that either. I knew I needed to find a desk job, which is not easy to do in the field of nursing. Many RN desk jobs are case management jobs, and they want experience that I didn't have.

I had my surgery on July 6th. Right before I had my surgery, I was hired at a local hospital as a telephone triage nurse. It is a desk job, which is exactly what I needed. A couple of weeks after my surgery, I developed new left-sided pain. With this new pain, I am literally unable to be on my feet for longer than a few minutes. I began my new job on August 8th, and so far so good. It is nice because it's flexible so I can get up and walk around and stretch as needed. I am able to continue putting my nursing skills to use, but I can do so from the comfort of a nice, comfy chair in my office. It's only 3 days a week, too, which helps. I'm grateful to have found this job, because I feel like I am once again able to contribute.
  • Walmart Greeter?

All you have to do is smile at people and say welcome to wally world, maybe give their brats a smiley sticker or something.

Don't need to bring your brain, you don't really need to remember anything. I doubt they care if you're on heavy meds. It would be terribly amusing. Probably make you feel better about yourself.

Here's an example of what you'll see.

Should be the perfect job... roflmao...
  • Thanks for your comments. Z06 thanks for making me smile!!!! You know what I may be working in suicide prevention. Lets see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Sometimes I think I will be able but otherssssssssssssssssssssss .....

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.