Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Don't know what to do... Had 2nd opinion today regarding bulging disc.

oc714ooc714 Posts: 54

I just returned from a 2nd opinion Nerosurgeon visit. He did a complete exam nothing compared to the one I visited the first time. He said that I need to have a Lumbar Laminectomy (hope I spelled it correctly. It would be open back surgery because he said he can see everything.

I am so fustrated and dont know what to do. My pain started 3 weeks ago with severe leg pain that has caused me severe leg pain after walking 2-3 minutes my leg starts dragging after that, unable to feel my big toe and the top of the foot, severe weakness.

I dont know what to so I've tried Accu with no relief scared to see a Chiro so I don't even know about trying to try ESI's .

He asked my why I waited. My answer was I'm trying to heal on my own. I can't go any longer with this pain but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right decision since I'm in pain.

Mother of 3 lovely kids that need me.

• How are you doing today? Sorry to hear your in pain, because I know how you are feeling. I will tell you my story and then you can pull anything out of it for advice.

I start feeling radiating pain/numbness from my right butt cheeks to my feet on my right leg since last summer of 2011. I dealt with it because it was mild and I just thought it was from lifting weights. November came, and by then it was unbearable. I went to an orthopedics surgeon and he said i may have a herniated or bulging disc. My stupid insurance company wouldnt approve a mri until i took a month of drugs and or physical therapy. This concept is stupid because how can a physical therapist help if they dont know whats going on. I did that for a month and nothing became better with my pain. Finally got a mri in december and I had a herniated disc L5\S1 herniated disc. Orthopedic surgeon wanted to shoot me with some cortizone shots like an epidural or do surgery. I said no and was trying to let my body heal naturally its like god intended. I started going to chiropractor 3x a week and they did adjustments and i put me on a machine called drx 9000. That cost $120 each time and i did it for like 19 times. 2200$ down the drain cause it didnt help for me. I went got a 2nd opinion with a neurosurgeon and he told me that the cortizone shot would aggravate the nerves and lumbar discetomy was the best option. I had the surgery on May 3, 2012. Im feeling 90times better than before currently. Also i think I had the laminectomy performed during the surgery because the lamina was shaved to give exiting nerves more room. Right after surgery, i was so drugged up and stiff, all I wanted to do is sleep. Day 2 i was in alot of pain and the drugs wasnt helping. I could walk but my back was hurting were the incision was at. Also my leg was feeling a little pain but nothing like the past. Numbing and sharp pain was gone right after surgery. I also increase me my lortab 10, to one and a half the second day and the pain went away alot since my docter office wouldnt give me anything stronger. Day 3 im moving better, walking more with slight pain. Day 4 i walked 15mins 3x that day and i was slight pain in my ankle for some reason?. I cant sit on my butt unless im eating or going to bathroom for 3weeks. Also I cant drive for 3weeks either. I think it causes stress to lower back by sitting. My advice to you is see if you have a herniated disc or bulging disc. Herniated disc is when the inner part of disc actually tear and touches the nerve causing sciatic pain. Bulging disc is when the disc has like a lump in it and touches nerve. I would try and let it heal first and do some research and therapy if you can afford that. If not, I would ask your family docter to refer you to a GOOD neurosurgeon to do the operation. Surgery worked for me but i didnt want to do it. I also prayed constantly to clear my mind and ask God for help... let me know your results. Also the longer you wait, the more damage is done to your nerves