Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Don't know what to do... Had 2nd opinion today regarding bulging disc.

oc714ooc714 Posts: 54

I just returned from a 2nd opinion Nerosurgeon visit. He did a complete exam nothing compared to the one I visited the first time. He said that I need to have a Lumbar Laminectomy (hope I spelled it correctly. It would be open back surgery because he said he can see everything.

I am so fustrated and dont know what to do. My pain started 3 weeks ago with severe leg pain that has caused me severe leg pain after walking 2-3 minutes my leg starts dragging after that, unable to feel my big toe and the top of the foot, severe weakness.

I dont know what to so I've tried Accu with no relief scared to see a Chiro so I don't even know about trying to try ESI's .

He asked my why I waited. My answer was I'm trying to heal on my own. I can't go any longer with this pain but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right decision since I'm in pain.

Mother of 3 lovely kids that need me.


  • It sounds like you have foot drop caused by nerve compression of some kind. I wouldn't put it off too long as you could suffer permanent nerve damage as a result.

    Feel better,
  • oc714,

    Obviously none of us are doctors, but spine folks with all manner of goodies (okay... badies) going on. (G) The weakness is the issue they are probably looking at, as 3 weeks is usually pretty young to propose surgery short of trauma, that weakness is the kicker I would bet.

    Laminectomy is used on levels that need to "free the nerves", and aide with stenosis issues - about to have 5 of those puppies myself. What is nice about them, sometimes that gives a bulging disk enough room to possibly shrink back in, and maybe give you years of relief.

    I wasn't totally comfortable with only 2 consults (well...3 if I count my original NS in there), the 3rd (okay..count him 4th) consult was with an Orthopedic Spine surgeon, and he and I jelled immediately, and except for one level different, I realized that this surgeon and I were a good fit. You have to be comfortable with your surgeon, his staff, your team and your decision for surgery.

    If your gut isn't sure yet, I would get another opinion. Knowledge is what will help you the most in so far as making your final decision. Please let us know how it goes. Again, Welcome aboard!

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I was emotionally better the previous 2 weeks but today it seems like I two steps back. Surgery is the last thing to do but I feel this might be the Dr if I decide to have it. He has done many of these cases as what he said. I might go see another Dr but maybe a Ortho this time. My biggest worry is prolonging the issue and dealing with the pain.

    I hope that I have a good outcome with the decision I make.
  • With pain issues, possible surgery, medications, and even the unknown answers out there, we all have that emotional up and down moments...it happens. Know it is normal, and keep on track with your health, learn as much as you can - then when the time comes, you will be comfortable with or without surgery based on what you find. :)

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • So the first DR is a No No he never called me for the epidural. The 2nd recommened a Laminectomy ( I have Neural Foramina with a disc bulge pressign the R leg) I felt that he was very sure this surgery would work and he has done many of them. the 3rd (ortho surgeon of spine) asked if I had done anything to try to get better on my own but I told him only Accu because no one else recommended anything. He gave me a pack of Medrol did nothing started PT( I am able to stretch out the leg more with only 3 sessions). He stated that they have less invasive like Laminotomy and discestomy but didn't discuss this to much I have a return appt. on the 4th. It has been 6 weeks since this pain started. Still not able to walk more than 4 minutes without the leg pain coming on strong then the toes and top foot start getting numb and I have to make sure I pay attention to pick up my leg high enough. My back hurts more than before because all I do is lay down or sit most of the day.

  • Hi. In the 3 weeks they already done mri? And thats how they found you need surgery? Or what all test were done?

    I am no dr by any means but i am suprised they would already recomend surgery without doing some sort of injections along with pt just because its only been 3 weeks,

    My mom had prety severe stenosis when i thought oh great now she will need surgery as i already had 2. To my suprise i took her to my pain dr she had 3 injections with pt and it got beter and avoided surgery all together, it took at least 2 months but it worked, Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • It's actually been 6 wks with the Sciatica. I had the MRI on the 3rd day of when I had the symptoms. I have the first injections tomorrow and see if I get any relief.
  • Good luck tomorow, If the 1 st one dont work maybe the 3 they usualy give with pt maybe you can bounce back hopefuly and avoid surgery, Best wishes,,,,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
Sign In or Register to comment.