Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One Year Checkup Still No Relief!

MJMcDevittMMJMcDevitt Posts: 71
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Saw the surgeon today for my 1 year checkup. Seems that I am fused well on the right and fair on the left. My pain is still the same as before the fusion. He asked if anything was better. I told him yes that I can stand up straighter. I told him that my problem is that I am retired (disability @ 50) and I have a high speed internet connection! I search everything, XLIF, artificial facet joint replacement etc. He said XLIF could be part of a larger surgery and artificial facet joints have not been successful.

He told me that the surgery was a success because I fused. The pain is a different story.

He has given me 3 options. Do nothing, and live with it. Have minimally invasive surgery to fuse and straighten out my spine from L-4 to L-1 (already have fusion at L5-S1). Or an "open" surgery for the same thing. Open = filet me like a fish!! He says if it is an open surgery he would be able to "see" my spine and can't see it with minimal.

No guarantee and maybe 50% chance of it relieving my pain.

How am I to make this decision!!??? Especially after the problems with my last surgery! (See link)

• I wish I had an answer for you. I'm sorry you are still dealing with pain 1 year later. I am only 2 months out but am still dealing with pain as well. In my case, the original pain is virtually gone. Now I have another disc acting up, and another surgery is definitely a possibility. However, I am trying to hold off on it and just went for my first ESI yesterday. I plan to go for more, if this one helps, and I am looking into purchasing a TENS unit.

My surgeon also called my surgery successful, because the original pain is 90% better. However, when I told my PM doc about that, he was pretty angry. I had a period of two weeks, right after the surgery, where the pain was gradually getting better and things seemed to be going well. At exactly 2 weeks post-op, this new pain began on the other side of my back/ribcage. The PM doc said he would not call the surgery successful after only two semi-good weeks, especially being that I developed new pain.

Have you thought about getting a second or even third opinion? Yes, you have fused which is a good sign. But if you are still in pain, then it wasn't really successful, was it? Then again, I don't know much about fusions. Do they typically relief the pain, or are they moreso done to stabilize the spine?
  • Matt did they check your hardware? Do a hardware block? My NS said about 30% of patients will need the hardware removed at about a year.

My PLIF from L4-S1 was excellent for me. I do get sore once in a great while (when I over do things) but it has been a great surgery for me. I say I am 100% better 90% of the time...

My neck is still healing (taking a longer time do to the MVA) and now I may be having a thoracic fusion this winter. I was just discussing the XLIF with a NS and she said they often use it to add levels to exhisting fusions with excellent success.

Feel Better,