Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ulnar nerve in elbow

sukieessukiee Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone,
I had ACDF on C6-7 in 2006. I started having pain again in 2008. The pain has progressively gotten worse. The pain is in my neck and along my shoulders, it goes down my left arm. I get tingling and numbness in the two middle fingers on the left arm. I also get lower back pain and numbness down my left leg. I recently had a lumbar MRI and its normal. I had an EMG which is abnormal. Something is going on with the ulnar nerve in my left elbow. Had a cervical xray and that is normal. My neurologist wanted me to have a cervical MRI but my insurance denied it, I don't know why. I plan to appeal it. Since my neck xray is normal, I am wondering what is causing all this pain. Is it possible that the ulnar nerve is causing the neck pain? Can anyone shed some light on this? I need to know much as possible about this ulnar nerve. Thank you for your help. :(

• Sukiee,

Maybe I can be of help? I was one of those lucky ones to have my Ulnar trapped in my elbow, wrist and hand, and had surgery to move it and release it.

Your Ulnar (via your neck) is the C8 nerve (below your present ACDF), and the fingers affected by it are the pinkie and the pinkie side of the ring finger. Your C7 nerve is the other half of the ring finger, and your middle finger!

Given what you've posted for symptoms, I too would fight to get your MRI updated to see what is going on. So far what you've described isn't the Ulnar but the Median nerve (C6/7). Now Dermatome is not exact mind you as we are wired differently, but the pinkie is solid Ulnar, and you mentioned no involvement of issues with it. I hope you have answers soon. Please let us know how it goes.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.