Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 disc surgery help!

labi373737llabi373737 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
How long before i can sit for long periods after slip disc surgery?

i am 22 and I have a slip disc for almost 2 years now at my L5-S1 and will undergo surgery around mid october. how long will it take before i can walk again? and how long before i can sit for extended periods of time? because i will be returning to class 3 weeks after my surgery, will i make it by then?

i am not sure what the exact procedure is called but it involves an incision and removal of a bulging thing that my doctor described as small solid thing

• I had a microdisectomy in June of last year. It takes time to heal. I am not remembering how I was 3 weeks post-op. You will have to be very careful not to bend,lift,twist,ect. You can re-herniate your disk very easily.
    I hope that it goes well for you! There are many here that have had the same :)
  • thanks for the information heidi!
  • Welcome to spine health. I had a two level discectomy/laminectomy 11 weeks ago. In my case, they had me up and walking (very slowly, holding a walker) a couple of hours after surgery. Walking is very important for recovery, small walks with rest in between, building up from there.

As far as sitting, everyone is different. I still am not able to sit, but many people find it much better after surgery. The key, is to only sit for small amounts of time, get up, walk around, change position. Your doctor will be able to help you with restrictions on sitting, as well as BLT restrictions (bending, lifting, twisting)

At three weeks I would not be able to sit in a classroom, but everyone is different. I would talk to my surgeon and see what they say.

Wishing you all the best! Glad that you joined us and look forward to hearing more from you.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • thank you karen, my doctor actually reassures me in my case that i'll be able to sit in classes at three weeks but i'm just very skeptical from what i've read. but yeah maybe every case is different. Thanks for the information