Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-5, L5-S1 laminectomy and discectomy on Monday

Calico1983CCalico1983 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Having a 2 level laminectomy and discectomy on Monday. Getting more and more scared by the day! Any words of comfort or help would be much appreciated!

• i have had the same operation as you {are you in the uk} ? i am ..my first operation went ok ish and i get instant leg pain relief but always had back ache .{did not have a choice about who did the surgery as it was an emergency } but 10 years later on i needed a redo of the same operation and unfortunately it failed and i have been in pain ever since .i am waiting for ALIF fusion this dec .but we are not talking about me ....i would say they technology has moved on in 16 years and the surgey is a lot less invasive now .just make sure you have nice things with you to make your stay in hospital as pleasant as possible .when you come home one good investment is an electric recliner the type the stand you up and lay you down ..{you don't need to buy new there are many for sale in the free adds and EBAY .don't worry about the operation because as soon as the cannula is in the back of your hand you wont remember anything ..a TENS is also a good investment post surgey when your scar had healed up then when you are feeling better ..say 4 months does the line gentle swimming or pool walking helps .i wish you well and a speedy recovery
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I hope all is goes well for you and you have a succesful surgery. I will most likely be having this surgery soon. Still getting a few opinions. Please let us know how you feel.