Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just found out and afraid

LexusLLexus Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
What would you do? I had surgery June 29 this year and I have posted serveral times for advise but this is really making me freak out. Had xray done on Tuesday and went to my doctor today for 3 month checkup. Ask for a copy of my xray went to hospital and picked it up. Was looking at it, everything looked fine, Then read the report. I had a disc removed, a spacer and a plate put in between C6-C7. But as I'm reading the report it says between C7-T1. I thought maybe whomever wrote the report was wrong but you can see clearly that it's C7-T1. I still have numbness and some pain in the left arm and hand which I know is common after surgery but now I'm wonder what the heck. Also noticed several weeks ago some pain on the right side. I guess I need to call my doctor see what they tell me. And I thought all this drama was over.

• As your counting vertebra you might mess up on the first two, they are a lot smaller and sometimes hard to see on plain images. I have plenty of reports that call the wrong name, but then one will have the right level on it. I used to be a stickler for it, but now I am not. But I would call the surgeon and ask them directly which level was done. You might even want to get a copy of your admission records and pre-op and post-op reports. We did have a member whom had the wrong disc removed.
  • I have my MRI CD and Report. Then all of the paperwork from surgery. Now I have the Xray CD with report. Everything has C6-C7 except the xrays report which say C7-T1 and right before surgery they ask me what disc I was having surgery on and I said C6-C7. I keep thinking about C2-C3 which are fused vertabraes from birth. I have counted down from these areas and it comes out to be C7-T1. I'm going to try not to stress out too much until I have talked to my doctor. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for responding.

• Lexus,

My last x-rays taken at a hospital, the radiologist put in there that my "C3/4 showed post surgical changes".... Kind of funny since my fusions (see avatar) are, umm, errrr obviously way lower! (G) Seriously, they goof a lot - another reason to have a surgeon who "looks at the films or CD's"..

You'll see after a while if you continue down spiney road and have more MRI's/x-rays etc., how many booboos start to show, or issues that aren't in the report! Like Tamtam, I am pretty much a stickler about those reports. I've had a few amended - this way if there is an issue later, I have accurate reports, *and* I keep copies of the images, reports, exam/surgery notes etc.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• It is very understandable that seeing a different level mentioned as being the level where surgery was done has freaked you out.

Mistakes do happen, but they are very rare. My surgeon started to cut a window into my laminar before realising that he was at the wrong level. He rechecked with x-ray and then moved down to the correct level and proceeded.

You ask what we would do - I think all of us would contact our surgeon and ask him about it.

I do hope that you will get some reassurance soon.

• I called my surgeon this morning and waiting to hear from them. I will let you all know when I find out anything.

Say a little prayer for me

• I received a call from the nurse at my doctors office and she explained it a little better but I was still unsure of what I was seeing and the report made me feel uncomfortable. I came home this evening and had a friend who is a nurse come over to take a look at my xrays. She pulled up an xray picture of a c6-c7 after surgery and we put my xray side by side with it. Looked almost the same but at C2 my vertabrae looks a little different but everything else matched up. I feel so much better. And like Tamtam said you shouldn't always go by what level they call it. I think what is confusing on mine is the deformity on the c2. I think on Monday I'm going to call the hospital where I had the xray done and ask them to have someone else read my xrays. Thanks all for your input.