Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tremors after surgery

reneecovrreneecov Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had Disk C4-C5 & C5-C6 surgery on Aug 4. I was supposed to be released from the hospital Aug 5 but I started experincing bad tremors in my right hand, this tremor went through out my body. I had a MRI and EEG done that came back normal so then they said the tremors was due to anixety. The doctor put me on volume which did not stop the tremors. Its over a month and I still am having tremors in my right arm sometimes they travel down my leg which at that time I have diffculty walking, also with these tremors i begin to stutter. I went to 2 neuro doctors that has not pin pointed the problem at all. The surgeon that performed the surgery has zero compassion for my situtation.

This all feels like a nightmare and I don't know where to turn. I tried to do research and I seen that tremors can be from Hypothroid or Liver issues which I have Hypothriod and my Liver count was extremly high before and after surgery. I don't feel like these tremors are related to anixety its been going on for about 5weeks.

If anyone has any information that could help me please share!!!! I am 35years old with 3kids and this has been life changing for my family. I just want some answers so I can deal with it and work on getting better (if possible)

Thank you,

• If you are on flexeril and an SSRI anti-depressant, (like Zoloft or Prozac), you may be suffering from an adverse drug interaction- tremors are one of the symptoms, along with nausea and cognitive problems. My surgeon totally missed this possibility, and the results weren't pretty. Since surgeons don't think about non spine things looking at your drug list for interactions is a good idea.
  • Thanks for the info but the only meds I was on before surgery was meds for Hypothriod but I'm going to check to see if this is a side affect from that medication.

Thanks again
  • On my first ACDF (C5/6) I had tremors in my right hand for like 3 weeks or so after surgery. I was told it was the 'irritated' nerves acting up. After that I was good.

I didn't have any other tremor related issues except the arm - start to bring a glass of water up to drink, the arm would shake to the point I couldn't drink with it.. So for me, it wasn't medications, or really 'the' surgery itself, but my unhappy nerves coming back to life. I wish I was of more help, but that is all I know from my past issues...

I hope you have answers soon. Oh, (something to think about), how is your blood pressure? I had a few years ago tremors in both hands, and my cardiologist realized I was inching towards high BP. I was put on a Beta blocker (Toprol XL), and the tremor went bye-bye... Just another avenue to think about.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks so much for all your feed back. Maybe it is my unhappy nerves acting up. My BP is good.

This surgery has truly turned into a NIGHTMARE for me these tremors has been going on for about 6weeks now.

Thanks again all this feedback is very helpful :-)
  • @reneecov - I was wondering if they found the reason for your tremors. Your tremors are exactly like mine. I had a routine surgery and woke up with tremors that lasted for 3 months. My speech was also affected. It has been two years since the surgery, and I am having the same symptoms again.
  • I'm hoping to get some answers or at least some help. My Father (70 yrs old) had prostate surgery & laser surgery to break up a gallstone at the same time. It has been about 4 months or longer and his right arm and leg will not stop shaking. He was perfectly fine before the surgery and now a neurologist is saying he has Parkinson's. How can he have Parkinson's overnight??? I believe it was due to the surgery , please help. Thank you.
  • BoxermommaBBoxermomma Posts: 3
    edited 02/19/2015 - 7:29 PM
    Man am I glad to find you guys. I wish you were still on line. I had surgery 6 months ago to have a shunt revision. two days after my surgery I developed tremors and stuttering. They told me it was anxiety too. I don't believe them. I am in pain from shaking all the time, and my medical bills are racking up from going to various doctors trying to figure out what happened.

This is a night mare. I feel like it doesn't matter who I go see that all the doctors will cover for each other while my life is ruined. I can't teach, I can't do much of anything. I'm so mad. Please somebody help me.

Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

**This is a old thread, for best support and information I suggest you make a new thread in introductions, you can do this by clicking on 'create forum post' on the left column.
  • ewalls65166eewalls65166 Posts: 1
    edited 08/30/2015 - 12:02 PM
    Back in 11/22/11 I was talked in to having a surgery for something called a chiari malformation type 1 I had only met this neurosurgeon 2 times before my surgery and being I was already
    having pain in my legs and feet. After surgery the neurosurgeon came to see me and asked how
    I felt. I told him a lot of pressure in my head he got up and left the room. A month later a knot had grew on my head and the first thing my dr. said look like someone didn't know what they were doing. The dizzy spells started and then the black outs(a total of 4) then the tremors started by March. 2012 They got so bad I had to get a deep brain stimulator placed. The surgeon never did give any concern about what was done...And another question I had was
    which neurosurgeon done my surgery...

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
    Edward Walls
  • My husband had 6 vertebrae fusion in Aug 2015 and as soon as he got to his room after recovery room he started having bad tremors in his hands and arms.  Went to neurologist and she couldn't find a connection but he was given dilaudid at his surgery.  Called the anesth doc and he said this drug had nothing to do with the tremors so I looked it up on the internet and some of the side affects were muscle twitching or je rking, diffuculty walking, rythmic movement of muscles and trouble with speaking among others.  The neurologist sent him to a Movement Disorder Doc in Sacramento, CA but that appt is not until November 2016.  Isn't it a shame that you can't get in to see a doc sooner?  Does this help any?