Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New guy from Pa. to say Hey

Bill6496BBill6496 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all...I stumbled on this great site while looking for info on a "pain pump". I will be 45 on Oct. 1, I.ve had back issues for 20+years and proggresively gotten worse in the last 6 years. Like many others here, I did the Dr. to Dr. thing without much if any answers. Three years ago the pain got to be unbearable in my back, radiating into my groin and testicles, as well as occasional sciatica pain.

Finally my PCP sends me to a pain management Dr.,he started me out with the basic meds, and assured me I did NOT need to see a surgeon of any kind. Well after a year or so and more and more pain meds and a few facet injectins...still no releif !

Being self employed and not being able to miss work,I decide it was time to see a very well known neurosugeon. To my surprise, in the 10 mins. I was in his exam room, he diagnosed me with bi lat hernias. The MRI that he ordered showed ddd, stenosis, 2 bulging dics and annular tears in L4,L5 AND SI.

So in Jan 2010 I had bi lat hernia surgery (i now recomend one at a time) . Surgery went well except for the severe ongoing nerve damage. Then back to the neuro in May about back issues, he says it looks like I may be a canidate for a fusion, and sends me to another neuro bcuz he does'nt do those. After a very painful discogram, the new surgeon suggests the Dynesys stabilization system at 2 levels. Exact words "you will be a new man in 6 weeks. Well 4 weeks post op I am having another MRI for the excruciating pain and unbearable sciatica . Results; bulging disc at L3,L4. After 3 months of PT, the sciatic pain subsides, but pain is worse.Docs answer...give it time...meanwhie after making up wit my PM dr. Im getting nerve blocks in my hernia insicions and more and more pain meds, only able to work about 2 hrs a day.

By this time, I am getting depressed, sleeping 80 hrs a week,having withdrawl, no social life, mad at the world. Neuro surgeon recommends radio freq. Injections and tryin the trial pain pump. So back to PM. DR, he says no way on the injections, and im not a canidate for the pain pump. Wont do injections becuz of my hardware (understandable), but would not give me a explaination why no pump, even after asking 5 times !

Sooo on Sept 2, I went to see my new PM doc...he agrees nada on the injections, is in awe by length of time I have been on the same meds and says I would be a perfect canidate for the pump. Now I am on the Fentinyl patch and oxymorphone along with nuerontin and flexeral and waitin for another doc to call for my appt. to discuss the pump. I feel like a weight has be lifted, and there is a bit of hope for me. With the change of meds, I feel the best I have in almost 2 years !

Sorry this is so long, but this is my story, and it is the short version...And I would appriciate any input ffom anyone that has a pain pump...thanks for reading....Bill

• Finally good news for you on getting pain relief with the new meds. I have been to 3 PM Drs for each a different opinion. But not for the pain pump. We have only a few members with the pain pump and if you post with the topic name pain Pump you should meet these few people like Patwhite101. More info http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/pain-management/spinal-cord-stimulators-and-pain-pumps-implantable-systems-neuropathy You're an example we must never give up looking for a new Dr. to help manage our pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Bill, Fentynal patch and oxymorphone wirh neurontin i bet you are feeling beter. Some strong stuff. Suprised you are feeling anything if you never been on it.

They started me off on the 50 mcg of fantynal patch last year. I was like wow pain is like gone. I put the patch on when bears game started, by half time i was stoned and started to itch. I had to take it off. Went to the dr he lowered it to the 25 mcg. He said if you never had it before always start off low. Well no kiding. That sruff is purufied morphine along with other meds in it.

Glad its finaly helping you just be carefull with using it. As with any other medications.

Good luck keep us posted,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Welcome to Spine Health. I am sorry that you are suffering. I think you will find a lot of support and a boat load of research right here at your fingertips :)

I hope things go well with the pain pump.

• Just know that 4 weeks postop is still very early in the recovery process. I did not begin feeling better until at least 12 weeks, and 6-8 months before I felt human again. I still have severe pain due to other spinal issues, but the fusion took 16 months to solidly fuse.

Good luck with your pain pump. Let us know how it works for you.

• I was actually started out with the 75 mcg patch,on the 3rd day I was having terrible withdrawl, a call to my PM doc he has me changin it every 48 hrs...so far so good. prior to this, I was on 30mg of oxycodone 5x day, and 240mg of morphine ms, with very little relief and withdrawl feelings between doses.
    Thanks SG for the welcome, I had the Dynesys stabilization fusion, with the screws,rubber blocks and cord, no bone graph involved. I was released (and no, not by me...lol) to go back to work on light duty in 10 days. I got alot of relief with it almost immeditly.One year post op now, other issues, narrowed down to facets, are worstening intensely.