Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Months Post Op L5-S1 Microdisectomy Update

bigboybackusbbigboybackus Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate feedback and support on this site as I believe it has aided in my recovery and healing.
I am 3 months post op and I used to have lower back pain and sciatica about 75 percent of the time. I had the symptoms for 5 years and it is improving. I would say I have back pain and sciatica about 20 percent of the time controlled with pain meds, muscle relaxants, ice and heat, and stretching and walking 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week.
I feel like I have plateaued and have regressed a bit as I have had to travel more for work requiring long plane and car trips and long meetings sitting down - just general fatigue. I have also not been able to sleep at night the last three nights due to pain.
I didn't know if any of my spine-health friends could share any advice, encouragement, or words of wisdom. I do know that when I go on the walks the days that I do it that it tends to feel better. I also use the three p's to get through it - pills, patience, and prayer.
If there is any feedback anyone has to help put things in perspective, it would be appreciated.

• I had surgery about 5 months and believe we started back to work about the same time. I also travel extensively for work. I also got frustrated but continue to get better.

It seems like I had a week where I was almost back to pre spine issues. Seems like some days are better then others. I think you almost need to give it a year and look back.

I think you will continue to improve. No one told me how long this recovery would be.

Best luck.
  • you are seeing so much improvement and then kind of hit a wall in recovery, or feel that you are sliding backwards.

How soon after surgery did you go back to work? I will be 10 weeks post op tomorrow and am not improved at all. The plane rides, long meetings, would be so hard, but I know, gotta pay the bills.Are you able to get up and walk around during the meetings to stretch a bit?

Have you done anything such as physio or ESI's since your surgery? I like your three "P's" saying, can relate to that. Do you take any extra or different medication at night that could aid your sleep? If not, maybe you could speak with your doctor about something to help you through the night. If you don't get a good night's sleep it really ruins the next day for a person.

Wishing you all the best. Hope you get over this hump in the recovery road, and continue to feel better.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • BBB,

Sorry to hear your recovery stalled out on you. Sounds like you were doing pretty well with the travel and getting back to work. I really don't have much to offer other than my well wishes. I hope you see continued recovery and can get the sciatica back to the 20% region (that sounds awesome).

Keep the PPP going and feel better soon!

• I was just curious to know what type of surgery you had?

I hope you keep going forward with your recovery.
  • Thanks as I know that you are a road warrior as well. I am doing my best to recover from the surgery and trying to limit my trips to be honest with you. Some days are better than others and I am taking it one step at a time. It is the longer days on the road (in the car and the plane) that are difficult with hotel beds. I am trying to be patient with myself as my thoughts are with you as well.
  • Karen:
    Thanks for your reply as I am able to get up and walk during the meetings when I need to. What I find the most difficult is when it is a long drive or long airplane ride or you are sitting down for a long period of time.
    I went back to surgery two weeks after work, because as you said, I had to pay the bills as they say. My doctor has not prescibed PT after I have asked him a couple of times, so I work with my chiropractor who has been helping me with easy stretches and exercise. He has not done any adjustments, he has just helped me during the transition as I have needed it. I do take Ambien at night when I am able not to sleep and it sure seems to be helping and making a difference.
    I really appreciate your kind words back and my thoughts are wtih you as well.
  • I hope that things are going well for you and your recovery! I appreciate the good thoughts and it is getting there. There are just other days that are better than others. Over all, we are getting there, one day at a time.
  • I have a lumbar dissectomey (microsurgery) on L5-S1 with a herniated/protruding disc. I hope that all continues to go well with you.