Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-6 ACDF in 12 days and pain is gone?????

surgerysoonssurgerysoon Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello,

I have been with neck pain for 2 years which radiated to my L arm with numbness/tingling 2 months ago. PT and meds did not work. MRI showed large C5-6 protrusion with L nerve impg. OS and NS recommended surgery. I decided to go with the NS who took me out of work 12 days before surgery as I was struggling at my desk job. Well, over the weekend my neck/arm symptoms have disappeared. However, I can re-create them by lying down on my back. I’m wondering now if I need surgery. I’m also sacred that my pain will come back without the surgery.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do? Thanks!
C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
C4-5 ACDF 11-2014
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

Yes, this has happened to many people here and they faced the same dilemma that you did. The problem is that the issue that caused the pain is not going to heal itself and if you postpone then get symptoms back and reschedule, it could be a ways down the road and cause permanent nerve damage in the meantime.

Having surgery is a very personal decision that only you can make, but I thought I'd offer up my opinion. It could be that the 12 days of rest have made it better, but once you get back to work it'll all start all over again.

Take care and please keep us posted.
    Cathie
  • The arm numbness is back and I agree that I need to fix the problem. Surgery on 9/23..... Good luck as well.
    C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
    C4-5 ACDF 11-2014
  • Well, my symptoms and pain came and went before surgery. This made me rethink everything. However, I decided to proceed with surgery. I'm glad that I did as pre surgery symptoms are gone!!! I'm on the other side now with incision and shoulder pain, but that is to be expected.

Good luck to all!!! :)
    C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
    C4-5 ACDF 11-2014