Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What kind of PAIN is this?

graciegirlggraciegirl Posts: 249
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain

My second attempt here.

Can anyone explain the difference of the symptoms relating to Neuropathy, Nerve Pain and PAD? Are the symptoms somewhat the same or different and only tellable through testing?

I have been diagnosed way back in the 90's after a fractured neck with R radiculopathy, 2007, the same and now since April. However, it is now on my right arm some, I now have leg pain, top of foot, back of calves and frontal, top of thighs........ involving not only numbness, tingling and burning but quite a bit of PAIN. I saw my PD and he just suggested a PC. I want to know what it IS. I live 100 miles from the nearest neuro and neck/back ortho and the last time enroute had a car/deer accident. I am at a loss right now.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    That top of the foot pain is crazy making..isn't it?
    I don't really know the answer to your question..but I know it's frustrating trying to figure it all out.
    There is a..I think it's called..a Deradome Map.. something like that.
    If you search on this site...it explains which spinal nerves are responsible for which area of the body.

Very interesting and was helpful to me. And re' testing... I dunno... but the EMG was informative to my doc and put us on a better path of realizing which nerves are "misbehaving". :)

Good luck to you!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Neuropathy (disease of the nerves) and peripheral artery disease (PAD) can manifest with similar symptoms. Based on your medical history (age, body type, diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterlemia, etc.), physical exam and plain films of your lumbar spine, your doctor may suspect that your pain is from occluded arteries supplying your lower extremities or from nerve impingement (such as from degenerative disc disease). The only way to diagnose PAD is by CT or MR angiography (basically a CAT scan or MRI); definitive evaluation of the lumbar spine is with an MRI. You don't need to go to a specialized clinic to get these studies done. They are routine studies at MOST hospitals/clinics.
  • that's to the above poster .arnt you banned again ??
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I can give you my take on it based on my own experience and mess... (PAD though, can't, as I have no experience with it)

Radiculopathy is nerves reacting "properly" based on their compression or restriction. At this stage nerve damage may not have happened yet.

Neuropathy is nerves reacting contrary to present issues - disease or damage is pretty likely.

The pain however is similar in that you get the burning, itching, electrical etc. Also too... "pathy" is a portion to pathology - said continue status. Neuro (nerve) Radicular (to radiate from). This is the layman non confusing way to see it Gracie. Of course you can Google and get all the techno-goop medical defs. I hope this helps. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • What Brenda said! As for PAD, that is peripheral artery disease, which is basically poor blood flow through the arteries. It typically involves the legs, and many people with PAD have leg pain with activity, which is called intermittent claudication. In severe cases, where there is very little circulation to the legs and feet, the tissue is deprived of oxygen, which causes death of the tissue. If this happens, you're toes/feet will turn black. Not a pretty sight!
  • For some reason I find it funny that bachache is asking the banned member how they are getting back on here....obviously, they aren't going to tell you b/c then they won't be able to get back here.

Sorry, hope I'm not offending you. My humor is a bit off today so if I did, my apologies. That member is quite crafty and clearly loves this board.

Anyhow, back to the main post...I appreciate the question b/c i haven't quite figured out the difference on Radiculopathy and Neuropathy so the answers help though I guess identifying which it is is still fuzzy to me.

the pain, no matter how you dice it, stinks!
  • it was more WHY are you back on here after i have reported you ..rather than tell me how you do it{people are quick enough to go running to the mods when they don't like something that i have written }
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
This discussion has been closed.