Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have many posts about my back surgery but now having knee surgery and a little scared, and have a fe

wildfire_101wwildfire_101 Posts: 68
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have posted so many times on here about my spinal fusion back surgery that i had in December of last year..having complications with that at the moment but that is in another post so i don't feel the need to have to into it all over again...

I found out on Wednesday last week that i am having a diagnostic knee scope done on my right knee on the 22nd of this month...I have been having trouble with this knee for the past 7 to 8 months now...I was getting to the point that it hurt like h*** just to get of my recliner or even walk...My ortho doctor sent me in for an MRI and it came back saying that i had softening of the meniscus(which there is some fancy word for it), a severe calf strain and there was something on one of the films that showed something but it wasn't on the negative and he couldn't quite figure what it was or is...

So he sent me to physical therapy, in which i am still there for my back anyway, and see if that makes a difference...and hopefully it'd start to feel better...About 2 weeks into therapy for that my therapist pretty much said there was no way a calf strain being i am not mobile or active enough for that...a injury like that usually happens in athletes, swimmers etc...and obviously i am neither of those 2 things...lol he sent an update to my doctor letting him know this and that he wasn't sure what it is/was...needless to say the following week he "postponed" anymore PT until i started "feeling" better...my back was killing me and he was only making my leg/knee worse..

Before i ask my question or questions, i need to give you a real quick background on my other knee/leg..I have RSD, quad muscle atrophy, and about 60% ROM in that leg now...on top of that leg and knee is weak enough already...so when i have this surgery done, granted i know it is just a scope, but if anything is wrong he is going to fix it while he is already in there...so i will need crutches for a few, especially the 1st few days but i won't have the leg strength to be able to walk..and my husband can't carry me everywhere...

so i was wondering what some people thought or knew as in do you think that they might end up keeping me for a day or 2 until i can weight bare a little bit on that leg/knee? B/c i know there is no way that my leg can carry my weight all by itself..my knee will give out w/n the 1st 30nds of even trying...I am just nervous and maybe even a little scared in general, so that is why i was inquiring...so just wanted some people's advice or thoughts..anything would be appreciated...

• I had to have arthrascopic menisuc surgery on my left knee last summer (the right knee was 2007). My OS scared the h3ll out of me beforehand. He said the x-ray and mri showed very thin meniscus (nearly bone on bone)and I would need to have pictures done to decide when to do the knee replacement! I was freaking out for nothing.

The surgery went great he shaved off a large tear, but once he got in the knee didn't look so bad. When they get bad again I will start with the lubricant injections. Many friends have had great success with the lubrincants.

I was back to being a back patient after about 2 weeks. The first knee was even easier. I hurt both of them doing the same thing on the same field....

Good luck :)

• I have had surgery on this knee before about 8 years ago..my ortho had done a lateral release on that knee, in which is basically he fixed my shifted knee cap...i was down for a few months from that surgery...and in 08' i had the exact same surgery on the other knee and then everything went wrong from there.. for what ever reason my body rejected it and i ended up with a nerve disorder on top of other things...I have noticeable quad muscle atrophy in that leg and lost ROM as well...the surgery does make me a little nervous but it is the not being able to walk after words is what worries me more.. my left leg (which is what is going to have to hold my most of my weight) is in bad shape and has absolutely no strength in it...and as for injections i have had so many, for so many different things i am done having anyone inject me with anything... plus 1/2 of them there is something in there that i am allergic too.. other than cortisone one's obviously...lol but that is why i was asking if anyone thought i'd be able to go home the same day, being the problem with the left leg, or would they keep me knowing that i'd have a hard time walking or not being able to at all...but that thank you for the good luck wishes...i sure hope...so far my luck hasn't been that great..lol
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    I've been through the spinal surgeries, starting with Lumbar in 1978 and finishing up with cervical in 2000.

Since then I have had a number of other spinal problems, thoracic herinations, more problems with L5/S3, etc.

But what has taken front seat is other problems. Starting in 2006 I had problems with my shoulders and was having steroid injections every 6 months. Finally in 2010, there was little choice. I had both shoulders totally replaced. Not a fun surgery or recovery! Much more difficult than the spinal ones.

In now in 2011, my hips are going. Both of them are arthritic, just as my shoulders were. So, I will have to have both hips replaced. Probably the left one this year and the right one next year.

My surgeon also told me that he believe that soon it will be my knees.

Talking this over with several doctors, we can not understand why the progression of arthritis is so fast and how quickly it all came on board.

As one of my doctors said, its on a roll and there is no way to stop it.

But I think all the doctors agree on one thing. That is because of the previous spinal surgeries, arthritis has taken control. They would almost venture to say that IF I did not have all those spinal surgeries that the arthritis would not progress the way it has.

But it has and I need to deal with it. So, I also think that other members out here are in similar situations.

I wish you the best in figuring out just what they need to do to help you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I know arthroscopic surgery for most people except perhaps the elderly is a day surgery but if you let the Surgeon know how your back and other leg is perhaps he can provide you with hospital overnight stay but you may be able to see a Physiotherapist before you go home and offered crutches if need be. Your Surgeon can tailor make a hospital stay longer if you let him know and if beds are available he`s the one to ask ahead of time to plan your stay. I hope you will do well with your knee surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My husband has had knee problems since his 20's. Miniscis surgery in 1979and finally got to the point where he was having so much pain getting up and down from a chair. He is s super athlete( in his mind..lol) and finally had total knew replacement 3 years ago by a doctor in Chicago and we live in Miami. The guy is well known for doing minimally invasive total knee replacements where they do not cut muscle and the recovery is absolutely amazing. Walking day of surgery, had to be able to walk up and down stairs 4 hours after surgery and then was released that afternoon to go back to our hotel-- outpatient surgery! Flew back to Fla 3 days post-op and my macho guy drove 20 minutes to work and worked 6-7 hours 6 days post-op!! Have you ever heard of anything so nuts! He is such a baby when he has a cold ,but for the big stuff is such a trooper. Within 2 months had full ROM and was golfing. He is sorry he waited so long to have the surgery. His recovery was phenomenal!! Just have to go the right Doctor and have the right problems to be fixed.

On the other hand, my sister in law had a traditional total knee
    replacement in NYC and was out of work for at least 4 months and still 2 years later does not have any of the range of motion that my husband has. If you want the doctors name, PM me and good luck with whatever you decide.
  • First i want to tell you thank you for the response, i appreciate it...and i have had those kind of surgeries before and yes i have usually gone home the same day..but on this occasion I have just gone through a major back surgery about almost 9 months ago and it still isn't quite right, plus the last knee surgery i had, i had a good "leg" to stand on and help me get around with crutches but this time i don't have this luxury..and i already have crutches from the few knee surgeries i already have had..you name it and i have it as in braces, walkers, crutches etc...i just don't have the leg strength to help me around this time and i dont want to put anymore pressure on my back than there already is..i am having some complications with that now and that popped up only 2 to 3 months ago...and don't want anymore...that is why i was asking about the possible hospital stay overnight or 2 days...i was going to talk to my doctor before i went in to the OR but it wouldn't had been until the day of but i guess i will call before then and let the receptionists know so she can pass it along...thanks for letting me know to mention it ahead of time...i appreciate it....thanks again!
  • Sorry to hear of your trouble, especialy with hubby away. I have had knee and neck issues for years. Had bone graft ready for yet another ACL replacement in May and just had ACDF last week. Only useful advice I can offer is that best cure for post op knee is keep on ice as often as you can and get a treadmill. The combination of both gives quickest recovery and you can do as much or as little as you can manage. Can't wait to get back on mine now I've had my neck done. You can rent them by the week until you decide that you want one forever! (which took me about 2 weeks to decide). Hope it all works out for you and my recovery advice is to push hard but not overdo. Good luck.