Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Self Injecting Lidocaine, Anything Else I Can Do? Ropivacaine?

1000YardStare11000YardStare Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I blew out the facet joints in C3-C7 when I was rear-ended in a car accident, and subsequently developed osteoarthritis with referred pain all over my upper body, and a weak left arm from left C7 neuropathy. I've had the pain about a year now. The pain is usually out of control, and my activity levels and quality of life are very poor.

I'm wondering if there is any other palliative treatment I don't know about. I feel like I've tried everything, and I'm at my whits end.

I've had 4 medial branch blocks, and 2 pulsed radiofrequency ablations - but the left side failed and they decline to repeat it. I also recently had subcutaneous botox treatment for the pain.

I've just kicked morphine, and I am trying to stay off opiates. I had a flare up tonight and had to resume them. I am not happy about this, as I feel they reduce my quality of life.

My current drug/supplement regimen is:

* Cymbalta 120mg
* Lyrica 150mg
* Indocin 150mg
* Voltaren Gel - LOTS, 10 times a day
* Tylenol Arthritis (about 4,000mg/day)
* Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Super Multivitamin, Fiber
* Lidocaine patch
* Lidocaine injections - 29 guage 1/2" insulin needle in the problem muscles, 2-3x a day (lasts for 2-3 hours).

My daily routine is:
* Daily cardio on elliptical machine as I am able
* Physical therapy 3x a week with TENS, massage, stretching and exercises as I'm able
* Pain coping class and therapy
* Stretches at home for pain

What else can I do? I don't want to live on opiates - the dose I get stops working in a month, and then I'm drugged and right back in as much pain. And they won't increase it.

The lidocaine is the only thing keeping me out of the ER regularly. I am looking into getting ropivacaine, which lasts up to 24 hours, to reduce the number of injections.

Anyone got any suggestions? I've been out of work for months, and I'm desperate for any other treatments and ideas.