Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerves in Spine-Healing time after hematoma?

ahenso02aahenso02 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there :) I am a 28 year old female who was admitted on 9/1 to the hospital for back/chest pain that further showed a 15mm blood clot that extended from T3-T5. Within 15 min of arriving at the ER I was completely paralyzed from my hips down, and then within the hour it had extended to below my ribs. I was rushed into emergency surgery where parts of my bone were removed to gain access to the clot. After waking up, I had gained feeling back throughout my body, however the motor skills were the only thing that had returned to normal. My numbness and tingling is still present. I am still learning to walk with the nerves being different. My neuro says that he is really confident that in time I will be 100% again, there was no damage to my spine at all, only the nerves that were compressed for the period prior to surgery. The clot was only there for approx. 12 hours.

Wanted to see if you had any recommendations for treatment once I leave that include vitamins, exercises, or other actions to help speed up the recovery of the damaged nerves in my back. A MRI showed that everything was healing according to plan. Any insight would be helpful. They also stated that this was extrememly rare to have a spontaneous hematoma (sp) with no trauma, we do not know why it occured. I have been in the hospital for 12 days, and hoping to go home soon :) I walk-Its just a bit slower of course, and it feels as if my stomach and legs are "asleep". :) Though the back of my legs are a bit numb, its mostly the front. My back is not numb at all, only my sides, and belly, so I do not have the "full air tube" as some doctors have described it :)