Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c5/c6 slipped disc

driftwoodddriftwood Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey everyone,

My brother has a slipped disc on c5/c6 and c7 with nerve compression. His right arm is all numb and in incredible pain.

THe doc gave him lyrica and told him to come back in 3weeks. He said his pain is pretty unbearable and I don't know if there is anything else we can do?

Any advice is greatly apprecaited.

I am trying to get a couple app with a surgeon and orthapeadic to get a consult. Problem is he is currently in Africa and not sure if they have the right docs there so part of my question is what can he do right now as well what is the long term strategy for this kind of situation.

• here is the radiology

The cervical spine curvature is maintained and so segmental misalignment is seen.
    THe vertebral bodies have normal height and marrow signals.
    At c5.c6 and c6/c7, there are posterior disc osteopphyte complexes casing thecal sac indentation and narrowing of the exit foramina on the right. This is causing compression of the existing nerve roots on the right.

The other intervertebral discs and facet joints appear normal.

The cord has normal signals
    Paravertebral soft tissues are unremarkable

Cervical spondytosis with c5/c6 and c6/c7 disc osteophyte complexes causing thecal sac indentation and compression of the existing nerve roots on the right.
  • What kind of doctor is your brother seeing? Africa- I have no idea how their medical system works. Good luck :)

I am guessing the doctor wants to see if the nerve pain meds will start working before considering any surgery. Many people have wonderful results with the nerve pain meds.