Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks post op with surgeon

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Well I had my 6 week review. I had a list of 20 questions for my doctor, basically my directions are as follows.
*no driving until week 12.
*a ct scan will be done at week 12 to check all is in place, and how the fusion process is going.
*work is out of the question until Week 12.
*stay on all medication as is and we will taper down at week 12 review.
*rehab such as Physio and hydrotherapy will commence at week 12.
So as you can see week 12 seems to be the magic number and time. He said that full fusion will be beteen 12-18 months. By this time whatever stage I'm at is about as good as I'm going to get, I shouldn't get any improvement past then. He once again enforced no twisting, bending at the waist,sitting for more than 10 minuites, and no lifting more than 3kg. He wants me to walk as much as tolerated as this is the best exercise I can do ATM. So basically I'm to be cautious and take care while waiting for the fusion process to do it's thing. He informed me that the nerve conduction studies that were done 2days before the surgery had shown no response to my brain from the S1 nerve, this is due to either damage from the first two surgeries or the compression that happened. Either way he can't fix this. So thats it for another 6 weeks. Is this similar to any one elses orders after L5 S1 Anterior fusion? I know that he is a very cautious doctor, I'm happy with this and Would prefer this than non specific directions. At what stage dud everyone fuse? Looking foward to any responses . Cheers!

• Yes, your Dr is right on with mine. I have had 2- 2 level fusions. One posterior and one minimally invasivve through the side. The first was longer restrictions, but I had my 2nd one in Dec 2010 and didnt drive until March. Had to wear turtle shell brace. So do as they say..They know what they are doing and above all, no bending lifting twisting. Thats the biggy. Hugs, Robin