Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cathy MCCathy M Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Is it normal to feel pain where the hardware is? I can feel pain from the rods and screws in my spine. I will start PT this coming Thursday and am worried already that I will end up with even more pain. Right now as long as I am not moving I am pain free but to move really hurts. The Dr said the PT was to begin to help me wean off of the back brace. Right now even though I hate having to wear the brace I feel better with it on. Does anyone else with hardware feel theirs?

• Cathy I still have my hardware and haven't had any pain from it. That being said- if I push on my hardware hard, I can feel it (I think). I didn't have a brace, but chose to wear my turtle shell while walking shortly after I started walking or being on my feet for more than 20 minutes (it felt better with it on).

PT helped me very quickly. Are you still on pain meds & muscle relaxers? What surgery did you have?

Feel Better,
  • In april I had a L5 S1 fusion with complications. I was not fitted with any brace at all until about 2 months later. I had three surgeries in 3 months.the last one in July to revise the rods and screws that had moved and were pushing m spine forward. I have pain meds that are PRN and use them when it gets unbearable. and I have muscle relaxers too if I need them but I hate taking them because they make me so sleepy. I am hoping that PT will help quickly and I have the same therapist whom I have had for over a year for this back issue.
    This has just been a very hard 5 and a half months. I knew it would be a long road to recovery but not this hard.
  • I am kind of in the same boat. I had my fusion a year ago and I feel my hardware all the time. They have actually recommended I have it removed because supposedly small framed people have less room in there for the hardware and the muscles fight for room. Are you a small framed person? I don't mean skinny necessarily. I am about 30 pounds overweight and they still say I am small framed.
  • ya you could say I am small framed lol.. I am only 4 feet 11 inches in height :) they have already had to fix my hardware once because it was moving, and I just started all of this in April of this year. I start PT tomorrow and am concerned that since I can already feel the hardware move that its going to end up being painful in PT tomorrow. Guess I will have to wait and see.
  • Good luck with your PT! I will be hoping it is pain free!