Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Fusion Surgery

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

I have gathered good helpful information on this web site for years; pain management, physical therpy, injections, and conditions. I am now scheduled for a lumbar fusion on 9/27/11.

I am well prepaired(I hope)for the hospital stay and post op recovery at home. I suffered with DDD, bulging disc, and nerve pain for years. The last Dr. visit, I was told I have 2 discs that are bone on bone, so it is time for the surgery.

• Good luck with your surgery. What levels are you having fused?

I have had 3 fusions, am fused L1-S1. Everyone of them was very worth it. Long recoveries with restrictions of lifting etc.

Be sure you put things you need that are in low drawers or cupboards out where you can reach them. A grabber is an essential item. I also found a long handled shoe horn to be useful. I mainly wore clogs but it was nice for putting on my (former) running shoes to go for walks.

I also had a safety bar installed on my tub shower. And used a plastic stool to sit on in the shower.

Also loose fitting elastic waistband pants. Forget about socks, they are over rated!!

Please keep us posted on your surgery and recovery.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I actually don't know. L4 & L5 are bone on bone(what my Dr. said). My Dr. is suppose to be one of the best(top 10 in US), but am a little frightened.
  • Good Luck on you new "spine" :) I had the Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion at L4-S1 a few years ago. It is a brutal recovery but just know that you will get better day by day, and take all of your pain medication on schedule (don't try to be a hero and go off it until your doctor says it is okay to do so). One day may be great followed by a week or 2 of intense pain. It is not unusual.

If you haven't already done so, check out the "post op must have thread" http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0

Also if you go into the Surgery threads there may be some great support/information for you.

• Its natural to be a little frightened. I did a lot of research online so I could be informed and ask my doctor somewhat intelligent questions. Plus it put my mind more at ease knowing more about the procedure.

Ask your doctor what he is going to do and then do some research. Bone on bone has to be uncomfortable and I am sure surgery will help immensely. On my last fusion the disc was so damaged they had to replace it with a spacer, sounds similar to what might happen to you. I would guess if it was bone on bone they would want to put a spacer in to make it more normal.

Good luck, keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I wish you the best of luck for you surgery. I am currently lying in bed in a new Zealand hospital recovering from having fusion surgery. I was very nervous going into it but I feel fairly good and was up walking around today a little. And that's Only after 24 hours post surgery!!

I recommend you take, if your allowed to take food in, a big bag of grapes. They are fantastic on a post op sore throat especially if there is a fridge you can keep then in.

Best of luck again mate.