Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are your drug of choice for back pain?

Trisa1795TTrisa1795 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:56 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I have DDD for a few years now. Since 2004, I have had 4 surgeries on my spine. 3 lumbar, 1 cervical. For 3 weeks now, I have been in excruciating pain from a new herniation. It is centrally located on L4/L5. It is affecting my lower back, right buttocks and right leg. Today, it started down my left leg as well. I see the neurosurgeon on Monday to see what course of action he will take. I am assuming fusion since this I have already had microdisectomy done on this disk already.

Anyways, I have been given flexirol, percocet, vicodin, and anti inflammatories so far and NOTHING eases the pain. They only relax me so I can sleep.

Does anyone recommend anything that has worked for them to help until surgery? I am desperate. I have never felt like this before with any of my previous problems. Even laying down, I am not getting relief.

Thanks so much.
Trisa
advertisement

Comments

• I'm not good with meds at all. but I take norco's when things are bad and wow have they been bad this wk.
    everyone's different now if i took what your taking i would be out for days. hahah maybe i need it.
    but my doc before fusion had me also on flexirol those knick me out good weird dreams tho.
    call doc see perhaps you need higher dosage or have you tried the pain patches..they did nothing for me but may help you.
    i do heat an ice on n off and use a tens machine.
    i wish you luck i sure hope doc will up your meds or change them .may i ask how long your on that mix of meds??

mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,048
    We love to greet new members, but at the same time, we know when someone new registers, they do so because they are having problems.

As you start to read our forums, you will see that there is no pain medication that is going to take care of everything.

For so many years, I wrestled with different variations, tried so many, but realized that its much more than that. What is really needed to manage your entire situation is a total package. Take a look at this post The Blend Its something I have been working on for a number of years and it is something that should be understood.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Welcome to spine health,glad you are here but sorry that pain has brought you here.

Everyone is different in what works to help ease their pain. As Ron said, it is a combination of things, that together, can be better than meds alone.

I notice that you are not on any ER ( long acting ) medication. I take a long acting and then I have other meds for breakthrough. Do you have nerve pain, as there are also nerve medications for that. When you have nerve pain, the narcotics don't really touch that pain.

Wishing you all the best at your appointment. Look forward to hearing more from you.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • i was confined to bed for weeks before my 3rd back surgery, and dilaudid was what helped get me through.
  • a combination of Oxycontin {long acting} oxynorm {instant acting}diazepam and temazepam .i can't take any of the gaba type drugs or anti inflammatories .i also use a high powered TENS .
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Just looked at your "The Blend" and I can relate totally.

I have used almost all on your list.

Times like these when I have herniations, I need strong drugs but nothing is helping this time!

During flare ups, I go to the chiropractor, have deep tissue massages (which I hate but they work), and use heat, and anti-inflammatory drugs, along with maybe a flexoril.

After previous surgeries, I was on neurontin for nerve pain.

And to try to avoid previous surgeries, I have done the epidural injections, along with the physical therapy.

I was searching for others' experiences because until I see the neurosurgeon on Monday, I wanted to give my PCP another option for me to try because the percocets are just NOT cutting it this time.

Thanks so much! I look forward to learning a lot on this site!
    Trisa

• What are you taking for long term relief?
  • Thanks Tony! Hope all goes well for you! Did you purchase your TENS unit or do you use it at PT or CHiro?
    I was thinking of purchasing one but didn't know where or what brand, etc...
  • Hi Mary! Thanks for your reply!

The past 3 weeks, I have been on a variety of drugs. The morning I woke in pain, I went to Chiropractor. The following day when it was so severe, I went to my PCP and she gave me the pain meds, muscle relaxers and also a steroid. I was only using the pain meds at night.

Since then, the pain has gotten worse and I have had the MRI, another dose of steroids, and continued to see the chiro for decompression and electric stim.

Yesterday, I had a horrible day that even laying down was not giving me ANY relief. I was popping pills like candy, and that is when I got on here to see if what everyone else takes for pain.

See below on my other reply and i state all that I have done throughout the years.

So nice to be on here where people understand what you are going through. Although my hubby and kids are great support and do anything I need, it is nice to know that people truly understand and can relate.

Trisa
  • For my pain control I take MS contin, percocet in between, lyrica for nerve pain and valium for muscle spasms. I also use a tens machine/ heat/ ice. Everyone is different though, on what meds will help them. Best to ask your doctor what they think may help you.

With all of that my pain level still hovers between a 6-8 , so can only be thankful that I get some relief.

I am also starting physio and will be going for facet block injections.

I hope that you are able to find some relief.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • is a Beefeater Martini, ice cold, straight up, with a twist.

Oh, you were asking about back pain.

I'm a person for whom NSAIDs have absolutely no effect. I've tried them all with no results even at high dosages. I did, however, notice nasty side effects.

I have tried various painkillers with similar non-results. E.g., Vicodin does nothing for me and I hate taking all that acetaminophen for no reason.

I was starting to think I was immune to all pain meds short of morphine.

Finally, my doctor suggested Tramadol. It's an opioid, not an opiate. I'd never tried it, but hey, I'll try any drug once. (Motto from college days.)

Tramadol works for me! Amazing! 50 mg is good and 100 mg is "don't drive a car or make any important decisions" good.
  • I am 22 years old and recently had two failed lumbar surgeries. Ive taken just about every narcotic pain med out there and what has helped me the most are the following.

Fentanyl Patch 50 mcg/hr ever 48 hours
    Hydrocodone 10 mg for break through pain
    Nourontin 600 mg for nerve pain. seems to be helping better than Lyrica did also way less side effects.
    I took Dilaudid 4 mg six times a day for the first two months after the second surgery which helped but only for a short amount of time (1 hour) because it has such a short half life.(2 hrs) Dilaudid should only be taken while your in the hospital after surgery and no more than two to three weeks after surgery. My pain management "doctor" f'ed up on that one. Good luck
  • Hi Trisa1795

Gabapentin and Advil have helped me over the Opid drugs alone. A combination seems to work best however Gabapentin will make you sleepy until your body adjusts. Then again everyone is different but might be worth mentioning to your doctor.
    Best wishes to you in finding relief >:D<
advertisement