Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another Newbie

D EVLDD EVL Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
I have been reviewing other individuals' painful dispositions for some time on this site and have finally put finger(s) to keybord. I hope to be able to provide my experiences and thoughts to others out there suffering more or less that the rest of us.

Personally, I have permanently damaged nerves at the C5 / C6 level and have lost most feeling in my right index finger plus thumb and middle finger tips. It's merely an irritation now, but not debilitating, unless the nerve-pinching recurs, which it is prone to do every ten to twelve months.

But why end there? My L4 / L5 joint is not too healthy either, with a sequestered disk clerly identified on numerous MRIs. Its surrounding levels are less damaged, but can't be ignored. I've had facet injections already and they have provided some relief.

While my condition was not a result of an accident, it was caused and exacerbated through excessive impact sports. But I have no regrets. In any event, even if I did, I can't change the past.

Simply, in my case alone, I have adjusted my life style to suit my condition where the pain is constant and there is no reprieve. My sport choices have moved from the sublime to the sedate and I balance this with a healthy dose of work and keeping busy. I'm sure this will not work for many, but I find that retaining a positive approach and outlook mentally has kept me going this long and will hopefully keep me away from surgery any time soon.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    You indeed sound very positive for all you have and are going through.
    I think you are so right about the need to adjust the lifestyle and manage the thoughts to be more positive.
    Some days easier than others, but that's the goal.

It's good you are able to work despite the pain. That can't be easy.
    It's good to know we are not alone in the pain...and we do get encouragement and gentle guidance to a more healthy approach to this "new life" from one another.

Glad you are here and it's nice to meet you!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Welcome to spine health. Glad that you have joined us. You have a wonderful, positive attitude. You have adjusted your lifestyle, and between that and your positive outlook, I hope that you are able to avoid surgery.

Look forward to hearing more from you. Positivity is always welcomed and can help others who may not be feeling so positive. Thank you.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I've read extensively on this and other sites attempting to ascertain whether I might ever get feeling back in my fingers. My understanding is that the sheath around the nerve at C5 / C6 is damaged and the nerve has been compromised, although it's not pinched currently. However, I thought that nerves regenerate over time. Anyone had this problem and has it rectified itself over time?

There's a good reason I've resorted to computer technology - my handwriting is now almost illegible!