Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Now in recovery.

AlistairAAlistair Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My mind is finally starting to clear after my surgery this morning so I thought I'd give you guys a quick update. The surgeon just came in to talk to me and he said the actual damage was much worse than what he thought based on the MRI and CT scans. I had torn ligaments somehow as well as the compressed and split vertebra on top of the rapidly developing arthritis. The most damage was to the joint between T11& T12 so the surgeon believed he could get away fusing these two (T11&T12)

The surgery went well. And now I'm in my room starting to recover. Have a terribly sore throat as I think it got a bit scratched when they put the breathing tube down my neck.but part from that I am almost pain free (until I try to move my arms or legs). Just a dull ache where the incision is. But I do have a pain pump.

Also I must say that I am verry impressed with the quality of the hospital. I have a single room and my own bathroom. Plus what other hospitals offer a lamb rack for lunch? Truly amazing.

• I have set up a blog to track my progress through rehabilitation.

Feel free to check it out if you enjoy blogs at

I am going to update on this site with larger milestones and as I read this site everyday (it's my new favourite site) will endeavor to support you all as well. The blog I will fill the nitty gritty details etc for those interested.

Cheers Alistair
  • Welcome to spine health and to the other side! Wow you are posting on the day of surgery, amazing. Glad to hear that so far so good, and that you have good pain control by having pain pump.

Will check out your blog. Continued success to you. Take it easy, stay ahead of the pain.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Glad to hear everything went well. Great Blog :)

Feel Better,

• My Physio just came and got me standing up beside my bed and did a lap around my room on a walking frame!! Excruciating pain but feels good to be vertical!
  • Terrific that your surgery went well and you're starting to walk. Yeah it's hard getting mobile again after surgery, but like you I was determined and it was the best thing.

Keep looking forward to when you'll have much less pain and to enjoy life again.

Looking forward to further updates.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • LOVE your blog. Great food, great view, and hopefully great recovery!!
  • Great job and glad you're doing well....keep it up!
  • Have been sent home from the hospital already which is amazing. I thought I'd be in there alot longer than 3 days but apartenly I'm good to go. The only realy difficulties I'm having is in getting back into bed. Getting out is ok but I guess I will work out a good technique in time.
  • Satan Sheets :) or satan pj's (better yet get both)they slide easily.

I used those when I had my PLIF and it made all the difference the first few weeks when I was super tender.

• that you are home now. Let the recovery begin! Did physio teach you how to log roll out of bed? Yep satin sheets and or pj's is a great idea Julie.

Love your blog! What a great idea. It will be good for you to look back on to see how far you have come. Also it is a nice way to pass the time as you heal. A great tool for others to read who are considering fusion surgery.

Look forward to reading more. Happy Healing!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • just wondering how you are doing.

Hopefully you are getting into and out of bed more easily now. The worst should be over now, but there will still be a long road ahead of you.

Take good care and follow the surgeon's instructions. :-)

• :H Being on this site has been great with support and advice, it has been a comfort to me. other han my surgery coming up, i have to deal with some other stuff, which has made it very hard, we have a small building removal business, and last week a drunk driver crashed in the house in transit, she was 3 times over the legal alcohol limit, she would of died if our house removal trailer was travelling at normal height, how ever because of the number of bridges we had to lift over, we had trailer at a higher height, the result being instaed of this stupid woman known to allot of people drinking and driving, only getting a number of small cuts. The end result of height of trailer made the difference of finding a body cut in two. Not an experience myself as a lead pilot and truck driver hubby and two other pilots would want to go through ever agin.
    The sad thing about it, which i am so angry about is that this woman will be driving on our roads agin with the i dont care attitude, at what stage does some one have to get killed before she wakes up.
    In New Zealand our laws are so weak, that even if she kills someone, jail term is minimal, with a small fine, there is something wrong with this picture.
    Anyway, the building was badly damaged, she hit it going approx 80 km and has made it so much harder for us, stress wise and finacially, she is unemployed and getting money out of her for the costs we face is going to be pushing it up hill.
    So as you can see this is not what i needed before surgery, plus the fact i lost a good friend to cancer.
    It is my birthday 2 moro i am going turn 50 years old, ifeel like 1oo tonight, but my 3 kids coming to visit for the day, so when you get down to it, i have an awesume loving husband and 3 greta kids, and to me is the most important thing to me at the moment.