Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I Expecting Too Much?

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My 1st back surgery was June of 2010 with a fusion at L 3/4 & L 4/5. Had bone graft, cage and screws. Had bone stimulator removed by surgery December, 2010. Then had neck fusion at C 5,6,7 with bone graft on opposite hip in March, 2011. Ended up in i.c.u for 2 days because of bleeding from hip.
Then, most recently, August 10th, 2011 had all screws removed, from L 3/4 & L 4/5 and doctor explored area because I've had allot of pain on one side since original fusion in 2010. Now, today I had to go to a shoulder Dr. because of frozen shoulder, and suppose to start pt next week. I say all that to say this; Are there others out there that are still hurting from your lumbar fusion after a year? I still cannot do very much around the house so my hubby & daughter do most of it. I will admit I am 61, and do know the Dr's have all said I'm a slow healer because of soft bones and Osteoporosis. If I just new that maybe I'll be turning a corner for the better soon, I can handle all this. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed. I'm on Gabapentin, and Lortab, and monitor all my meds carefully, but seems like it does very little for pain.

• Hi Mindy,

I know my case is complicated by the infection that I had but, yes, I still hurt a year after my fusion! My recovery was slow and very up and down and, in fact, because of the infection I would end up back at square one about every 4-6 months or so.

I know how frustrating all this can be and I feel sorry that you are going through such a prolonged recovery too.

It is really difficult when you read about other people who can do X or Y only 4 months post op and you can't even do it a year later. All I can say is hang in there. Also make your concerns known to your doctors. My surgeon didn't listen to me - turns out he should have!

Best of luck to you

• I appreciate the encouragement. :)