Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recent C5/C6 Fusion Post Op Questions

LTFFPM350LLTFFPM350 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm 4 weeks post op from a c5/c6 anterior fusion . I had a pinched nerve for 3 1/2 years due to going undiagnosed for that long, very long story. I'm still having the same pain in the left scapula area, shoulder and triceps. I am also having mild pain in the right top of my shoulder now which I never had. Sometimes the pain in my scapula is more intense than it was pre op. I start PT next week. I know a couple people who had the same procedure and told me they were pain free in the recovery room aftr the procedure. Is my situation the norm? Is it just going to take time? Thanks.

• Everyone is different as far as recovery is concerned. You should speak to the OSS or NS about the pain that you are having and listen to your body. Are you doing too much too soon?
  • Hello,

I'm in day 2 of my c5-6 ACDF recovery period. I also have bilateral shoulder pain. The heating pad and muscle pills work some. Have you tried them? Oh' I also got my 7 year old son to give me a light massage :)

Good luck! Demise
    C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
    C4-5 ACDF 11-2014
  • :))) After reading horror stories i have to report my acdf c-5-c-6 is going well so far.I had trouble swallowing but getting much better each day,can eat meat with little problems.I do getstiff upper back though but i guess it's muscle compensation goes away after stretch,also I found I have to take it easy tried driving, no bueno,cleaning the house no bueno,going to just chill out now.
  • Prior to surgery I had some left arm pain, tingling and numbness. A few days post 9/23/11 C5-6 ACDF, my left arm pain was present, but manageable with meds. However, today (5 days) post-op my left shoulder pain around my scapula is very intense. The pain inhibits sleep and meds have little effect. My left shoulder now hurts when I walk. Something I did not experience pre-surgery.

I think that I over-did it post op, thinking I could do more and feeling good on my meds. I'm going to be a good patient by resting and doing nothing. However, if im still hurting like this on Friday morning, I am calling my NS.

C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
    C4-5 ACDF 11-2014
  • When I was recovering from cervical fusion I had extreme shoulder pain and the meds barely worked for it. This was two years ago. I Went to ER thinking about heart attack or something. Come to find out they told me and later my surgeon told me it has to do with the anestisha and after the surgery it releases gas in your shoulder or something like that. It took a few weeks to go away. The pain was worse at the time then my neck or incision site. It was awful.
  • Ltffp...I hurt for a good 7 months in my shoulder blade area...just a dull ache. It takes time and each passing week or two you will feel huge gains. I learned that surgery was quick, Recover...a process. Do the right things, take it easy and listen to your body. And keep posting...this forum was a blessing to me.... It's good to know that you're not alone! Be well,
  • Follow-up to my post:

I called NS who RX predisone pack. I took 21 pills in 6 days which really helped my shoulder pain. :)
    C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
    C4-5 ACDF 11-2014
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    When you are on the table and positioned supine (on your back)they use a device that pulls down your shoulders which helps open up the disc spaces for better access.

This form of traction for the surgery could be one cause of the shoulder - scapula pain that wasn't there prior to the surgery.

As always .... if it is of concern - you should discuss with your surgeon and get his/her take on what you are feeling.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!