Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The fatigue from days of pain

henry6hhenry6 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm new to this forum, I'm here to learn from others about their coping techniques. My particular source of pain is spinal. I have several doctors as well as a pain management group. Until recently I had been using Norco 10mg as well as a time release morphine 30mg and for breakthrough, liquid morphine. In May I stopped all use of the morphine products, using only the codeine for 3 months.
I don't know if anyone that isn't in long term pain would understand it, but I'm having trouble with fatigue. It's as though I'm putting a lot of effort into pushing back against the pain and as a result I'm feeling exhausted. I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this and what, if anything has been found to offset this fatigue.
Thanking you in advance for your kind attention, Henry6

• Hi Henry and welcome to Spine Health :H

I also suffer from fatigue, but have attributed it to the fact that my sleep every night is so poor. I have recently purchased a memory foam contoured pillow and it has made a huge and wonderful difference. It is worth every penny!!

I do think that you are probably right though, that being in pain every day is very tiring. I do find that I can be very irritible and things going wrong at work and home, can really upset me! I am definately not the person that I used to be!! I wouldn't like to live with me! In fact, I don't like living with me!! Lol! :))(

." I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this and what, if anything has been found to offset this fatigue."

As for ideas to try to offset this fatigue, I would think that if you can improve your sleeping either through medication or changes to your matress/pillows, that may help.

Tony's idea of swimming is also a good one. I find proper swimming difficult now because I have neck problems but I walk every day. Some days I start off with pain but I go anyway, and generally my pain levels have gone down by the end. That always surprises me!

Warm showers or hot baths may make you feel better, even if only while you are in the water.

Do things that you enjoy to try to improve your mood.

I hope that others will be along with other ideas and experiences.

There are a lot of us here to know and understand what you are going through. Just talking to others who can empathise with you will help you to not feel so alone.

• Good Morning,
    You story sounds so familar to me as it probably does with so many others. I have done a couple of things in the last week that have helped me. I am also a Morphine user. I dont take the liquid but I do take Avenzsia wich is a tab form of Morphine. My doctor had told me to take at 5pm every night. I did tht for a while and when I went back to my PM doctor he suggested I try taking it earlier in the day. Lately I have been taking it at noon and it seems to help. Also I was taking Trazadone 150mg to help me sleep at night. It always left me extreamly tired the next day. I have since gone off of it. Did it on my own, but I dont wake up feeling like I never slept. I am still tired and expect with the back pain I have that it is something I will deal with for the rest of my life. Not sure if this helped...Talk to your doctor about the Morphine. Good luck. Michelle
  • Pain absolutely makes one tired. My girlfriend cracked her rib bone and she was tired the entire time it healed. She'd fall asleep in the afternoons with the heating pad on her back. This is a girl who detests naps, never took them, hates to sleep in the afternoon, pretended she hadn't fallen asleep when she did, you get the idea.

I wish I had an answer to the fatigue. I'm convinced the fatigue i feel is from the constant pain I'm in. I'm searching for them too. I've tried caffeine but it just makes me more tired later on. Walking seems to energize me for awhile. Even my 10 minute walks!

I too had a memory foam topper for my bed and now that i don't have it anymore (I moved and couldn't bring it with me) I really feel the difference. I wake up more in the night, I hurt more during the day. I also have a memory foam pillow but I would start with the topper because the pillows are so individual. What works great for one doesn't for the other. But toppers are all the same. Problem is like everything else they're not cheap so have to find them on sale.

I must nap in the afternoons, no ifs and and buts. I have to work around my pain and the late afternoons are when it the worst.

I'm going to follow this thread and hope someone else has ideas.

• Good day,

As others have said, you are not alone being fatigued due to pain. Prior to being released back to full-duty status, naps on my Lazy-Boy recliner with a heating pad worked miracles.

Now, like you I am looking for a way to relieve the fatigue / stress of working 12+ hour days along with the constant back and nerve pain.

What helps me mitigate the fatigue is walking and stretching several times during the work day. Sure I get some good natured abuse from my co-workers; but they have been with me from the beginning of this problem. And it is so fun "getting even" with them }:)

Hope everyone has a pain-free day!!

View my history for all the gory details.
  • Ah yes...fatigue! I, too, suffer from terrible fatigue. Much of it is from lack of sleep, as you can probably tell as evidenced by me posting at 3:15 am. However, I find the more pain I am in, the more fatigued I feel. The more I try to push through it, the more my body tells me "NO!" It's probably a protective mechanism to some degree, to prevent you from doing further damage.
  • tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014

• Fatigue is a very tough condition to deal with. After having back pain for 20 years, fibro and RA I've learn a bit about it alright.

At first it seemed overwhelming. Even the smallest things too a huge effort. After forcing myself to even be able to get out of bed, I noticed that somehow I did it. At that point the light came on for me and I knew it was my brain telling me I felt this way and I really wasn't as limited as I felt.

Pain stresses the body. The brain with chronic pain over reacts and sets in motion a unappropriated response to the body and you get fatigue, depression and a whole range of unwanted feelings and unwanted responses.

It take a lot of work to be able to go on with your life in spite of the feeling of incredible fatigue. I'd much rather have a life than be victim to miserable existence that fatigue can bring.

For me the feeling has never gone away in spite of having a healthy active life. My body swears ever single moment that it just can't go another step or do another thing but who cares. Let it whine....

This leaves me like a car with the gas gauge not working as I never know how much energy I really have and I can suddenly bonk. I'm learning how to be very efficient how I spend my energy and learning how far I can push it.

It's never easy but at least I've got a life.

• For many people, chronic pain causes depression, and one of the symptoms of depression is fatigue. If you have several of these symptoms, and they do not go away, you may be depressed, and should seek medical help for that.
    • can’t sleep or sleep too much
    • can’t concentrate or find that previously easy tasks are now difficult
    • feel hopeless and helpless
    • can’t control your negative thoughts, no matter how much you try
    • have lost your appetite or can’t stop eating
    • are much more irritable, short-tempered, or aggressive than usual
    • consuming more alcohol than normal or engaging in other reckless behavior
    • have thoughts that life is not worth living

• Does any body else have Constant pain? There isn't a minute in the day of every day that I don't feel pain. And that is with all of the pain regimes that I do every day!I personally don't see any way out. I truly wish that there was an answer. It is an endless journey with no rest stop in sight and with an ever aging vessel. I used to laugh at it and myself but it is getting harder and harder to keep a straight face.A grimace is always on my face now days. Everyone around me got tired of the effects of constant pain on them, even though most personally had no physical pain. And the best way for most of them to deal with it after so many years, was to get away from it... and me
This discussion has been closed.