Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lump in throat?

graciegirlggraciegirl Posts: 249
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Another Question?!

Sorry to be so "needy" lately.

All this stuff is baffling anymore.

I am noticing my swallowing gets "kinda stuck." even when I am not eating. Would that be due to my cervical ruptures, 4 bone spurs, spondylosis or stenosis, too?

Sorry for all the questions.

• Hi Gracie,

I can't remember - have you had cervical surgery? If so, I still have that feeling, but it has slowly gotten better since the surgery. Lately I've wondered if maybe the little bits of food or pills get stuck under the back of my tongue?

Take care.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi Karen,

Thanks for your reply.

I hope you are healing up and doing better after your surgery.

I am still waiting on mine due to more consults, a new accident, (car/deer) :( I did make out better than the deer, however.

I am feeling this catch in my throat most of the time now. Not sure why. It is a bit disconcerting.

• Hi,

Anyone else having a problem with swallowing or a feeling in their throat like it is thick like with strept throat but not painful? Ever had this with cervical neck stenosis, sponylosis, bulged discs? Thanks for any help provided.

• What did your Family Dr. say? Let him know what's going on and he may do more tests or refer you to a ENT Dr. or GI Dr. or if you have contact with a Neurologist let them know. I hope you get some more replies since I haven't had spine surgery but have a impingement at C6-C7 but not throat issues. I hope you had an x-ray and MRI after your accident. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry!

I have an appt with my PD in a little over 3 weeks again. It is to see if the cymbalta is helping again. I had gone off of it over a year and a half ago. Guess maybe that was not the right decision. Hm. Maybe i'll make an appt with an ENT. I'm just so tired of all the appts all the time. I don't see the neuro again until the end of Novemebr unless I decide on surgery with him or have other issues. Uh. This throat issue is new to me. I did have an xray of my hip area and just badly bruised. Am waiting for an appt for a lumbar MRI. How are you doing recently? Do you think you can avoid surgery? I have been lucky for a long time but things seem to be getting worse again. I AM NOW HAVING PAINS IN MY FEET, LEGS AND THIGH AREA. NOT SURE IF ITS FROM THE CAR/DEER ACCIDENT OR FROM PROGRESSING SPONDYLOSIS, STENOSIS, ddd AND DISC BULGINGS. Didn't mean to capitalise there. LOl. Typing is not as easy as it used to be. Thanks for your reply.

• I have not been offered surgery even when I had a herniated disc which was not seen on my second MRI. I'm waiting for another MRI Oct. 25 and EMG test on my leg Oct. 5th and the first EMG showed compression at L4-L5.

After living with over 3-1/2 years in chronic pain and numb leg and foot and can't work I would do surgery for this lumbar DDD as it's gotten to the point where pain is affecting every area of my life and if offered fusion surgery I would go for it as I've tried all conservative measures.

Wow 3 weeks is a long time to wait for your Dr. appointment. I know seeing Drs take up a lot of our time but guess it's the best thing to do. Hope your throat issues area alright. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Surgery is not wanted unless you know it is with the right surgeon. We both know this. As long as you can get by, rely on that. All of us are not able to rely on that for much of a given time. I knew when i fractured my neck in the 90's that my surgeon said he would see me again. For this neck of the woods, he is a great surgeon. He doesn't have to look for someone to operate on. He has given me all my options and also names of other surgeons to contact/consult. At least I believe him to be a genuine source. He does admit to an 80% surgery rate and I will look for a better rate as long as i have time to do so. I surely hope that the both of us will fare okay!

Hugs for you,
  • Hi Gracie,
    Yes, I had the same issues BEFORE surgery also. If I forgot and took a big bite of something hard it would get stuck in my throat. It actually scared me a couple of times so I started always having water near me and being very careful what I ate.
    I had 3 level ACDF surgery on 9-2 and my throat feels the same only more. So I'm assuming my presurgery throat issues involved my bone spurs or crushed disc problems. I also had pretty severe myelopathy and that continues following the surgery.I am hoping it will all go away eventually.
  • Hi Laurie,

Thanks! Unfortunately, that is kind of what I was assuming. At least I now know someone else has dealt with this beofre. It doesn't seem like anything is in my throat passageway but rather "something" in the way. I too get kind of scared whern this happens. I notice it most all the time anymore and more so when I bend my head down.

So far, I have been told that I only need a 2 level ACDF but have bulges in C3-4, C5-6 and C6-7 along with 4 bone spurs, etc. I have mild-moderate myelopathy. I am sorry to hear that yours is so severe. I hope this surgery helps. You are still very early out so I will send good thoughts and prayers your way. At least this surgery is behind you now and that your symptoms will resolve or get better.

Best Regards,
  • Hi all - I had my ACDF on 8-29-11 - C4-C7. Damage from a car accident 20 yrs ago back in 1990! All was fine until about 4 months ago, I woke up with knife in back feeling and numb left arm! Did 3 epidurals, they helped but pain started to come back right away. MRI showed large bone spurs on C4-C7 and they were completely compressing my nerve root. I had 4 opinions, 1 wanted to do non invasive, 1 wanted to only do 2 levels and hope that PT would fix the third - crazy. The last 2 were at the same neurosurgeon office - both strongly agreed on 3 levels as soon as possible as the nerve damage might be permanent if I waited. I'm 3 weeks post op, glad I did it. Have major muscle spasms now, so I take it slow.

As to the throat, I got very lucky. The neuro that did mine had been in practice for 20 yrs. He said my surgery was easy as he normally operated on brains. I'm very thankful I chose him. I had 3 days of horrible burning throat - lived on ice. And about 5 days of the lump in the throat and need to keep swallowing. All I have now is food getting stuck half way down throat. The neuro explained all is inflamed now and the windpipe is resting on the top of my plate. this often leaves a small ledge and pills and textured food like bread may lay there when swallowing. It is scarry sometimes, so I defintiely don't eat without a drink nearby! He said it may get better over time, but sometimes it is there for good. I hope it gets better.

• Hello Sandy,

Nice to meet you! Thanks for your response. I really hope you are feeling better today and as each day passes. I hope this pain subsides after your surgery. Are the spasms painful or just really bothersome? This thing in my throat is not really painful but does bother me quite alot. It makes me feel like my throat is closing up on me. It is getting much worse now as days go by. I am becoming more careful as to what I ingest. I do hope that you have a good outcome. I am still playing the guessing game. Have a nice evening. Wishing you well.

• Having a lump in throat is not normal. It usually signifies that something is wrong with you and your throat. Most commonly, it is a sign that your muscle was strained or tightened or it could be a sign of viral or bacterial infection. You will know that you have a lump in throat by these following signs and symptoms:

* Sore throat
    * Obstructed feeling in the throat
    * Swollen throat
    * Bumpy sensation accompanied with painful lump in throat
    * Difficulty in breathing
    * Difficulty in swallowing
    * Roughness feeling in throat
  • Hi there,

Thanks for your help. I do not think that I have an infection nor anything like strept or a cough /cold. It is not swollen, or sore. I seem to be breathing fine.

I will check this out with my PD in a few weeks and if it were to get worse would call sooner.

I do believe the cause is from my cervical problems. Nothing is actually getting stuck. It just feels like a lump.

Anyone else with neck problems have this before surgery?

• Hi Gracie, I've heard of many people having the feeling of a lump in their throat after surgery. You keep swallowing feeling like something is there. I had it starting at day 4 and it stopped about day 9 for me. When I went in for my wound ck at 2 weeks the doc told me it was completely normal for ACDF. And it was rare that I only had it for a few days. He said quite often people have it for a month, sometimes longer. It depends on how long the windpipe is extended for each level. I had 3 fused. I do have food getting stuck half way, usually breads or pills. Again, very normal. But definitely any questions, call the surgeons office and talk to the nurse. I had on my list when leaving the hospital if I felt that I was having problems breathing, or that so much food got stuck that I had a hard time swallowing it. For me, with any liquid it quickly goes down. But I have also heard of infections that require you to go back in hospital. I would call to be safe.. Good luck

• Gracie, I started taking cymbalta a week ago...it took exactly two days and I started feeling like I have a lump in my throat...not painful but I do notice that I cough up alot of bits of food and liquid...I have had c1 c2 laminectomies and sever torticollis...however I did NOT have this lump until I started taking the drug...it seem every med I have tried that has NRI as mechanisms of action does the same thing..it usually takes a week or so for lump to go away.