Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 and half week update from 2 level discectomy...any thoughts/advice?

Vin1215VVin1215 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a 2 level discectomy, doc also found that I have a pars defect during surgery but thats another story, my discectomy was (l4/l5 and l5/s1) on august 11th. After the surgery for about 10 days, I had more radiating leg/butt pain than pre-surgery..about 14 days post up, the leg/butt pain diminished. It went from a 10 to you 5 and some days it was as low as a 2-3 on a pain rating from 1-10.

Last monday night I did push-ups bc I was so bored of doing nothing and I had no pain while doing them. However, when I woke up the next morning, ALL of my pain came back in my butt/leg. It was depressing to say the least. As the day went on, the pain went down a bit. However, the past week I have experienced pain in my butt/leg and certain movements definitely trigger pain that is a 10!

I started therapy last week and I think the pelvic tilts along with other exercises trigger sciatic pain and am not sure what that means.

Does it sound like I reherniated? The doc said my disc space was surprisingly bad and my nerve was extremely compressed but then he said I shouldnt have been in as much pain post surgery as I was and I may have reherniated or it could be inflammation but he is not sure.

What do you guys think? Shouldnt inflammation be gone by now and wouldnt inflammation be constant. The fact that some movements trigger the pain, makes me think it might be herniated.

• Welcome to spine health. Sorry that you are having such high pain spikes when you do certain movements.

I had a two level discectomy/lami almost 11 weeks ago, and am still really struggling. When you aren't doing the specific movements, how is your pain level?I am starting physio this week and am sure that I may experience even more pain (yikes, is that possible?) but want to give it a go anyway.

I am going for an MRI this week as well, due to the fact that I am in more pain than before surgery. Did you doctor mention sending you for a new MRI or xrays?

Are you on pain medication or nerve meds, if so does that and ice/heat tens, lessen your pain at all?

Wishing you all the best. Nerves are stubborn things and can take a very long time to heal. Hope that yours eases up, if not I would be asking for more testing.

Please keep us updated

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012