Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tolerance, Addiction, Dependancy, Withdrawals

LasVegasLLasVegas Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Medications
Over the past 6 months I have been prescribed Opana/Morphine/Percocet/Zanaflex/Clonidine.

Opana did nothing for my pain and felt drowsy all the time, not good when driving in traffic 6 hrs/daily as a salesman. So after 2 weeks of giving Opana a try, I went back to doc office and asked to switch to something else.

Dr switched me to Morphine Sulfate prescribed 2x/day, 12 hrs apart. After 1 month of constipation, 15 lb weight loss due to lack of appetite and daily erectile disfunction...I asked to get off that and Physician's Asst said she would prefer to have me on something else for round the clock pain instead of taken as needed to avoid the highs/lows/need for breakthough meds, etc. I rejected her recommendation and asked for something to be used as needed.

Was given Clonidine to help Morphine withdrawals and prescribed Percocet 10MG take as needed up to 4x/day.

Morphine withdrawals occurred almost immediately and lasted 2 loooong weeks...night sweats, chills, restless leg syndrome, lethargy, extreme moodiness, living nightmare!

Morphine was definitely not worth taking considering the withdrawals I was tortured with. The Clonidine did not work even when I tripled the dose, but when I took Percocet it helped withdrawal symptoms instantly. So Percocet became my drug of choice...

After 4 months of taking Percocet (as needed up to 4x/day) I started realizing I have become tolerant needing to take more than prescribed taking an abg of 6x/day, average I write because some days I would take 10, this obviously has become a problem with tolerance as the prescribed amount was not covering my lumbar pain. Additionally, realizing I was taking more Percs than prescribed out of anger, depression, etc and was now an addiction issue.

Over past 2 weeks I have been weaning myself off Percocets down to 1x to 3x/day and hope to cope without anything in about 1 week when the pill bottle runs out.

Called to cancel last week's monthly appt for my refills because my MedPay insurance has run dry/No $ and have no health insurance nor cash. Spine center didn't even ask me why I had to cancel my visit and did not volunteer info.

Surprising to me, possibly the norm within this industry, but the doctor, physician's asst, nurse, scheduling, nobody ever called me to find out if I am ok without my prescription, if I switched to another doctor's office, etc. Guess I am just a # they don't care about and only interested in $ as they are clearly just monthly drug pushers.

What choice do I have but to deal with the pain from this point on? Maybe it is a blessing in disguise because the Percocets are obviously a very serious personal problem.

I am in daily pain, but have addictive personality issues and LOVE Percocet for many reaons. It helps with my pain IF I take more than prescribed.

My general mood goes from miserable and grouchy without to Mr. Sociable and happy AKA Jeckel & Hyde.

Gives me boosted motivation and my energy level skyrockets, but without Percocets I am lethargic and extremely depressed. Percocet & Starbucks = Breakfast!

Also, helps my sex life tremendously as I am normally in too much pain to function like the man I am used to being before car accident last year. But with Percs, I feel no pain and am able to enjoy.

It is unfortunate that I suffer from daily lumbar pain, disc issues L1-L2-L3-L4-L5, etc and meds, swimming and stretching are the only remedies...as after reviewing my MRI and Xrays was told I am not a candidate for surgery.

Wish me luck!

• I am so sorry you have to go through all of this! My husband also takes morphine, and he actually only takes it when it is needed, and sometimes skips.

Did you just start sweating so bad for NO reason at all on the morphine? He does badly! His energy levels have went way down, but he has also had a heart attack, ect.

Sorry off course, but if you need to take something to get through the day for pain then take something. I know people that have to take pain meds to feel normal, their bodies have just grown addicted to the mmeds, and really it isn't their fault.
    I hope you are doing ok today!!!!
  • I hope that no one who reads this thread follows the same path that LV did in abusing the medications he was taking and increasing the doses without the supervision and approval of his prescribing doctor.
    It is not only dangerous but also can and does get people thrown out of pain management every day.
    Clonidine lowers the blood pressure and increasing the dose by 3 times what he was prescribed can be life threatening. ~X(
  • Kind words Heidi, this has been challenging to say the least.

Sandi, 100% agreed, I have a very unfortunate situation.