Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre- Op wednesday..........

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello my friends :) I have the pre-op for surgery on wednesday, and I am sitting here almost in tears. I have to travel 3 hours to get there (that is ok), but really it is fear. I think that every single one of us that have had surgery was/is scared.

I just have to keep telling myself I am doing this to make me a stronger person, and I can do it. I am a big girl, I have faced many trials, and this is just another one that I am praying will work out for my good :SS .

Please tell me that you all were also scared! It will really help, and what you did to ease the fear. Thank you, and I hope that you all know you will see A LOT of me! >:D< >:D< >:D<

• Not so much scared here, but frustrated and stressed. My pre-op testing is in depth to cover everything! Have a zillion doctor's appointments this week (cardio, neuro, MRI, x-rays...OS). Next week hopefully is just the pulmonary clearance and cleared for surgery. Sigh..

You sound like you are reacting normally. I'd say go with it. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Heidi, Hey there,
    I didn't realize your surgery was coming up this soon! I will be having
    my surgery, Oct.17. The closer it get's, I know I'll be really scared!...
    Right now, it doesn't feel real, as I don't know if my insurance is going to approve it!!!
    They have scheduled my ALIF for Oct.17. My pre-op, by Oct.3, Oct.13, get fitted for my
    back brace, and to have my anesthesia consult at the hospital. My surgery is going to be at St.Louis. I think having a fusion or any large surgery is scary, and also being a 3 hr. drive from home, makes it more stressful!!! My drive is 4 hrs. As of right now, I don't know what time I need to be in St. Louis for the surgery.
    If everything goes as planned you'll be 2 weeks on the other side when I start my journey( or something like that)!!!....
    I pray everything goes well today, and you can enjoy the drive... It seems like all my trips have something to do with my health. Maybe you'll feel like doing something nice and fun!!! Your fusion level is L5/S1. Mine is too.
    First of the Summer my NS wanted to do a 2level Axialif. It's been a long Summer... Forward to now, I'm glad I didn't have the axialif, 2 level. My ins. just wouldn't approve the minimally invasive fusion!!! I glad now b/c 1 level is not as scary
    !!! At least,I think??? We'll see what happens......
    Heidi, again, good luck! Let me know how everything goes.
    Gentle hugs, Brenda C.

• Heidi I was a nervous wreck before both of my fusions. I cried at the drop of a hat. I remember having a small cutt on my hand that almost made my surgeon cancel the day of. I was crying and saying I have been waiting for 2 months (insurance denial) and you want me to wait again!

Incidently my primamry insurance denied both of my fusions initially and made things even worse. I expect it now.

I am already crying about the next fusion and I don't even have a date yet...

Try to think about how much better you are going to be feeling when this is behind you. Remind yourself that it is normal to be scared and that the emotions you have are valid, but you will start getting someof your life back (so it is a great trade) >:D<

Feel Better,

• Heidi, I feel your fear as I will be in surgery on the 27th for the L5-S1 ALIF too. I have had several surgeries in the last few years starting with the ACDF C456 in 2004 almost exactly 7 years ago.
    All my surgeries have gone well and yet I am filling up with fear. Go figure.
    I find myself thinking about the what-ifs. What if it doesnt go well, what if it doesnt fix anything, what if it gets worse instead of better, what if ........ Yeha yeah yeah, what if I do nothing anf then get hit by a truck tomorrow?!
    I just try to remember to live in the moment, put one foot in front of the other, and accept that there is a god and I aint him! He/She has a plan and I'm simply along for the ride. Keep doing the next right thing and all will be well.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and look forward to comparing notes as we BOTH heal and find our new legs!

• Wow! I just hit my six month anniversary of my surgery. I had PLIF due to spondy at L5/S1. I also had an issue where my L5/S1 disc space was almost vertical instead of horizontal as it should be. My surgeon chose to do strictly PLIF due to all the work that had to be done on the posterior side of the spine. So I have not had ALIF but I have had 2 c-sections so I am somewhat familiar with abdominal surgery just in a different area.

My hospital was an hour away from home. I had a big pre-op appointment about a week before. At pre-op I answered a ton of questions, a ton of blood work, EKG, a ton of x-rays, and a CT scan. Whew!

I can't say was a total nervous wreck before the surgery. I kept busy with all the planning and prepping. I searched for all the perfect pillows, jammies, and almost anything else on the much needed list in the sticky section of the boards. The week before was finals of my college work so that kept me somewhat busy up until the night before my surgery. lol Talk about putting my finals test off to the last minute. lol

My surgery was scheduling for first thing in the morning at 7:30am which meant we had to be there at 5:30am. So we had to leave home at 4:30am and that meant I had to be up at 3:30 to have a fresh shower and get ready. I ended up staying up until 1:30 in the morning trying to finish washing dishes and do last minute packing. I think I only managed about 2 hours of rough sleep that night. I don't think my husband slept at all that night. He said he would feel better just staying up rather than just an hour or two of sleep which is the way he is and worked for him.

I think I got the most nervous during the drive to the hospital that morning. I think my husband and I just did the little chit chatting thing most of the time. Thank goodness they had TVs in the pre-op rooms so the morning news kept us occupied while waiting between the countless number of people coming in and out of the room to do things.

Right at 7:30 someone came to wheel me back to the OR and it was time to get started.

If you are really really nervous or upset after you arrive, just ask, I am sure there is something that can be given to you to help ease things. I have heard quite a few people comment this.

Best of luck with your surgery. I hope it will be a positive outcome for you.

• I was so freaked out pre-op, that I just about chickened out and walked out of the doctor's office.
    Only problem was, that I couldn't stand or walk! (due to the herniated disc I was there to get treated for)

Finally, I relented and resigned myself to the circumstance and relinquished complete trust to my surgeon.

As it turned out, everything went well!
    I woke up in the recovery room and I was so happy, that possibly, maybe, some uhhhh.... drops of condensation came out of my eyes. It probably was dust or the lights were too bright or something. *cough* Yeah, that's what it what it was. *cough* LOL

The 2nd time was a piece of cake because I knew the personnel, the location, the room, the procedure, the instrumentation and other things from the first time. I had no worries or qualms. I should have done that before the first surgery!

Tip: have your caretaker bring a small snack with him/her to you when they come see you in the post op area. You will be hungry from the previous night's fasting. It will be something to look forward to. (obviously, get it cleared ahead of time with the doc)

After I left the surgery center, I was soooo hungry! We stopped at a nearby subway and it must have been the most delicious sandwich I ever ate in my life. I was one happy mofo! With a full belly, I was so glad to be "on the other side" of surgery with nothing to do except take it easy. It made the night way better.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • My first time around, I was super-nervous........just like about everyone else. I'm sure the outcome will be well worth it when all is said and done.

Best of luck and please keep us posted! :-)

• I am so glad that I have all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I had a mixture of emotions prior to my first surgery. I experienced everything from excitement about the possibility of being pain-free to nervous to anxious to fear, etc. It's totally normal to feel that way. And if my NS suggests another surgery, I'll likely go through those same emotions again, though probably not as much fear and anxiety because I'll know what to expect a little more.
  • I think we all feel nervous in some way before surgery. I know for myself I had mixed emotions. I had waited so long to have the surgery, that I was so excited to get in there and get it done.

At the same time I was terrified. Both of the surgery itself and the fact that I was totally unsure whether it would help me at all.

Do you know what time your surgery is at? Mine was at 7:30, and I was so thankful to be the first one of the morning. Didn't give me as much time to fret about it that morning.

Glad that you will be around here alot! Great place to be during recovery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I am not sure if I will know the time tomorrow or not?! Sometimes they let you know when to be there a few days before.