Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello My Name is Shannen, DDD, DJD

slparsacasslparsaca Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone!

My name is Shannen, I'm 44, from Michigan and I have C4-7, L5-S1, DDD & DJD and there is some "slight nerve involvement." Also, C4-7 have some subluxation and spurs. My diagnosis was in 2008 which was when the last x-rays, MRI's & treatment were done. Since 2008 I have been in a battle with doctors and insurance companies, trying to get some help. My pain has increased quite a bit so I'm sure the disease has progressed. The doctors have told me I am not a candidate for surgery.

I am currently unemployed, or a retired vet tech. :) I can't work in the veterinary tech field anymore because it is physically demanding. I have been looking for a new job for 5 years but have found it difficult due to my pain and physical challenges.

Recently my legs have started to fall asleep. My doctor suggested physical therapy. My health insurance requires a $2500 deductible. We are a one income family (low income) and we can't afford to pay for Physical Therapy so the hospital PT Department had me fill out a form for financial aid. Last week the hospital billing office called me and told me they could not help me because it would be "illegal for us to pay your deductible." I was accused of scamming the system. :::sigh:::: So, here I am again back at square one.

My friends have suggested trying for SSI, but I have not found a doctor who is willing to support that. They always want to send me to PT first LOL

I hope this gave enough info as requested :) I look forward to seeing you on the forum!

Blessings, Shannen

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.i also worked with animals but had to give it up due to the strain on my back and legs.. grooming dogs and cats is hard work!! LOL!! please have a look around and make yourself at home.. i do hope you are able to get some medical care soon.. you say you have a doctor who suggested pt? is this a good idea perhaps? be sure and stop by anytime!Jenny
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I may have missed it..don't see if you are involved with pain management doc.
    That could be a huge help. When you say slight nerve involvement, is that from how you feel? or test..like an EMG?
    Sounds like you need a doc in your corner and that may put you on the right road to proper care and disability if treatments ineffective.

Don't know where I'd be without my pain doc!
    Take care and keep us posted!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History