Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Time for another RFA

RatSquadRRatSquad Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Spinal Injections
It has been 8 months since my last RFA (L3 - S1) and it is time to have it done again. I feel fortunate in that the last one lasted around 6 months before the pain started to return. Now it is back in full force (7/10) normally.

Last Monday my PM gave me a facet test block which either worked wonders, or the knock-out drugs lingered for a while. :) One thing I can say is once the block wore off the rest of the week was pure misery.

I have an appointment with my PM today to schedule the next round of RFA. Hopefully it will last as long as the last one.

Hoping everyone has a pain-free day, or as close to it as possible!

View my history for all the gory details.

• Howdy Curt,

Never had an RFA, but they sound promising! I know for me ESI's never helped me at all. I will keep my fingers crossed that this one too gives longterm relief!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks Brenda. I found a great PM doc as he has (almost) always been able to find a way to provide pain relief.

I also like the fact that in the O.R., or whatever you call it for outpatient stuff, he has a radio going on one of my favorite FM stations.

Wishing you a pain-free day.

• Curt,

Sounds like a good fit with your PM, excellent for you! I have a new PM, but we haven't connected yet since I have surgery coming up, and an appointment would be mute right now.

Fingers crossed on your next treatment. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Good luck with your RFA! I've had 4 cervival RFAs, and 3/4 were fantastic. The one resulted in a horrid case of neuralgia that lasted for 5 months of pure hell. I'm scheduled for one in a couple of weeks for my SI joint and so can not wait as that's been causing me so much grief lately. Hope yours is soon, and it's successful for the both of us!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • This will be my second round in the lumbar region. The first set is on the 24th with the next on the 7th. unfortunately, I know all my PM doc and I are doing is waiting on my L5 to rotate in excess of 4mm then it could very well be fusion time :(

But in the mean time I will take any pain relief (within reason) I can. :)

Here is hoping your RFA give you some relief for a long time.

• Just had my third RFA in a year and a half--they did L4-S1, bilaterally, two days ago. I asked for a lot of Versed, and I was able to answer their questions, but I don't remember much. Yes, it hurt, but was bearable. I was wiped out that day, but feel okay today, although as the day wears on, I'm getting sore again, mostly on the left side. Hopefully this will give me some relief--the first one a year and a half ago worked well for about 6 months. Fingers crossed...
  • I am "sure" I should know what this RFA is but I am having a duhhhhh day - please explain in brief. :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.