Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trouble sleeping after working a night job.

FrankybeansFFrankybeans Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Sleep Problems
I have this strange problem. About a month ago I started a new job that involves tying and untying large ships when they come into the docks. In the job, all workers are on call day and night all week long. Each job is not very long, at most an hour and a half to two hours. Sometimes we must work nights.

For some reason if I work a late job, say at like 3:00 AM to 4:30 AM or later, I have an extreme amount of difficulty falling asleep, and especially staying asleep. The previous night I did not have work and went to sleep at 5:30 AM and then woke up at 1:30 in the afternoon just fine, no problems. I know it must be because of my job. I just can't seem to relax my mind and stay asleep/go to sleep. Even if the sun is not out I have troubles. Anybody have some suggestions?

• I used to work night shifts and it does take it's toll on your body. The best thing for me was to work full time nights so I got into a routine sleeping during the day so I could work nights but to work nights when you're not prepared it can throw your body out of whack.

I used to go for aerobics class when I got home from work in the morning then I was able to sleep better during the day and even had to take a light sleeping pill at times. Dark curtains and eye mask and ear plugs may help and if you can't sleep take a warm bath or leave the room after 20 minutes of trying to sleep and do a few things around the house or read a book or watch TV until you get sleepy. Best not to watch any stimulating violent movies but something like the animal planet channel or discovery channel can be interesting and yet help you to unwind to sleep. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • and stay off the computer!

I worked nights for years and had no real problem sleeping but I made sure to use good sleep hygiene. Now, I don't sleep well at all.

A routine is definitely important!

• I sleep with a noise machine - to the sound of running water but they have many choices you can pick from. I also run a fan - the humming noise is very relaxing. if your bedroom is too cold to run a fan in just tun the fan backwards. I use to keep the fan in my closet running as I could still hear the hum and it was not too cold in my bedroom that way.

Hope this helps :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I even unplug my tv and computer for the night in my BR so I have no red light staring at me. LOL
  • I even unplug my tv and computer for the night in my BR so I have no red light staring at me. LOL
  • Post Edited by Authority Member Liz

• Hi, I had same experience with you before when I worked on night shift. It was really hard sleeping from night shift, you can sleep for like 3hrs and will immediately woke up and you cant get back to sleep anymore. Whew! that's really a struggle. So what I did, I quit my job and find another job that suits my body clock.
    But for some its just being used to it.
    If you'll get used to it then its not a problem anymore, but the process takes time.

So good luck and enjoy your work and hope you'll have a pretty good sleep.